Realistic LAB-340 Turntable Output Question

Discussion in 'Home Audio (Stereo Systems)' started by JackedEagle, Mar 10, 2018.

1. JackedEagle

JackedEagle Member

I have an old Realistic LAB-340 turntable that still puts out some hum when turning the volume up even though the ground wire is connected to the receiver. Is this normal for an old entry-level turntable, or is there a way to fix this?

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
  2. hlarry14

hlarry14 Supporting Member

Not being familiar with the exact equipment you are describing, in general you would need a phono preamp to connect a turntable to any amp (or powered speaker) that doesn’t have a phono input. There are quite a few relatively inexpensive ones out there now - I see several on Amazon from around $20.00 to around $100.00. You would probably get a signal to the speaker without the preamp, but it won’t be what the speaker’s input is looking for, and would be low in volume and sound quality.

3. JackedEagle

JackedEagle Member

After I posted this thread I found a switch on the bottom of the turntable labeled "PHONO PREAMP IN/OUT". I think I would just need to flip the switch over to "IN" to engage the built-in preamp and then plug in the RCA cable with the 3.5mm adapter. Is that correct?

4. hlarry14

hlarry14 Supporting Member

That sounds like it should work - be sure the volume on the speaker is turned all the down when you start, and slowly bring the volume up with a record playing - I can’t think of any reason this would damage anything even if the signal levels didn’t match - it just wouldn’t sound good (either very low volume or distorted sound even at a low volume.) If it sounds OK, you should be good to go.

5. JackedEagle

JackedEagle Member

Bump. Edited the original post question.