Reality check for stereo setup. 112s vs 212s. Overkill?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by bdozer311, Sep 11, 2019 at 6:09 PM.

Stereo Setup?

This poll will close on Sep 18, 2019 at 6:09 PM.
  1. 1X12s: AC15HW1X + DRRI

2. 2X12s: AC30HW2X + TRRI

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. bdozer311

bdozer311 Member

I currently have an ac15hw1x. It's a killer amp, but I want to get another amp to try playing in stereo. I'm lugging my rig out about twice a month, mostly mic'd. I'm on the fence whether to get a DRRI and call it a day. Or go for the big guns. Upgrade to the ac30hw2x and also get a twin. Headroom is only a minor concern, since I'm almost always micd but it would be nice to not have to worry about playing outdoor with no mic.

On the one hand, the 112s are easier to transport, I already have the vox, and they might do the job just fine.

On the other hand, I have the lust to feel a twin and ac30 melt my face off. I want to stare into the sun. I feel like the GAS might finally end. But am I going to snap my spine in two? Also, I'm a little OCD and the twin and ac30 just look better side by side. Maybe I'd keep the ac15hw1x to keep the neighbors happy, and use the 212s out.

Please help. Any thoughts? Also, anyone tried special edition fender reverbs? Deluxe reverb Bordeaux, gb twin, wine red neo twin?

2. germs

germs Member

Man, I’m all about PRACTICAL these days. If you can do it w 1x12s, why the extra work to lug bigger amps?

3. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Supporting Member

For me as well.. get a Deluxe Reverb and call it a day...less is more... also, larger amps you gotta generally run the volume higher to get into the sweet spot.. an AC30 and Twin in their sweet spots is friggin loud..
    Plus, if you throw out your back on those 2 beasts, you’ll regret it for a long time. Don’t ask me how I know.......

4. effectsman

effectsman Supporting Member

Stereo is all about having two different sound sources separated physically. I’ve been running stereo amps since about 2012 and will never go back to one amp. More speakers the better I feel. That’s easy to do if you are at home and don’t have to move things around.

Depending on your situation transporting 2x12s can be difficult, especially amp combos which are 2x12. Not only are they heavy, but they are often big enough to be awkward to get your arms around. Getting them up and down stairwells, in and out of cars, etc are all difficult and you have to be careful how you approach the moving in order not to do your back.

5. Ejay

Ejay Member

1x12 30ish watt channel switcher so you can both cover different scenarios across amps...and have a stereo setup...and a healthy back?

6. easyed

easyed Supporting Member

Do you have a true stereo input or just want more tones available?

I see from your avatar square that you're new to the forum (1 message) - Welcome Aboard.

I would go with a Deluxe Reverb to go with your VoxAC15 if you feel the need to run two amps.

Big amps are getting difficult these days, especially with mic'd PA setups or playing smaller clubs where the waitstaff would really like to hear what the customer orders. My advice is to stay small. I'm trying to sell my '69 Super Reverb - the amp I had GAS for in high school. I still love the sound, but the only time I get to get it to really sing is when I'm home alone.

7. bdozer311

bdozer311 Member

Thanks for the reality check, everyone. I'll go with the DRRI. I'm reading about a few mods to improve it. Bright cap, verb and trem on normal, etc. Anyone have a list of worthwhile mods for the DRRI? And any idea how much a tech would normally charge?

8. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

1x12 will give you lots of usable tone. Less weight, less space taken up, etc.