1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Realizing I need a viable backup to my Helx

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by shred440, Feb 11, 2019.

1. shred440

shred440 Member

Back in December, my Helix's joystick stopped working properly. It turns out to be an easy fix, but I haven't been able to send it in for repairs yet. That month, I had back fusion surgery and it was hard to do much of anything, so I put off sending it in until I was better.

Well I'm better now, but apparently, me saying I'm okay to gig means book every other weekend from now to June to my bandmates! Lol! So now I'm looking for a decent economic backup that will work for the period of time that I'm without my Helix. Then, after I get my Helix back, it will serve as a backup on the road.

I'm considering options like the Amplifjre 6 or the Firebox with an effect unit of some kind, or maybe the Helix stomp. The Helix stomp might be cool to use in a loop with the Helix too, later on. Any suggestions on creating a backup for around $600?

LordByron likes this.
  2. radiolab

radiolab Member

HX Stomp
    Close thread

3. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

You are already in the Helix Universe - for consistency I would stay with Line 6.

That's not to say that playing with other stuff wouldn't be fun and exciting.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    mbenigni, dmock66, shred440 and 2 others like this.
  4. burningyen

burningyen Vendor

What kind of I/O do you need?

5. LordByron

LordByron The Dude abides! Supporting Member

I've got both the AA6 and the Stomp. Both a great, with their own strengths and idiosyncrasies. My Stomp tends to get more use, as the interface and the models are so much in line with my Helix LT. The consistency is great.

On the other Hand, the amp models in the AA6 (particularly the Marshall based ones) are REALLY good. And, as someone else mentioned, its fun to have some different tools at my disposal. It's good to shake things up from time to time. :)

dmock66 and shred440 like this.
  6. KenG

KenG Member

By staying with the stomp you'll more or less reuse all your patches from the Helix! Same consistency and you take out which ever you like for the show!

shred440, dmock66 and 9fingers like this.
  7. Baba

Baba Supporting Member

And what kind of footswitching do you need?

Also, if you’re looking to spend money, a used LT isn’t that far from a stomp, and you’d be exactly where you were, preset and switching wise, with the Floor.

aleclee, JiveTurkey and yeky83 like this.
  8. partytrain

partytrain Member

Be careful with the Amplifire. Before you know it, the helix may be your backup.

BillTrantos likes this.
  9. AudioWonderland

AudioWonderland Member

For a backup, something like a fly rig that is small, not computer driven and highly durable is what I would look at if I were not just getting a second unit of what I am using as primary

Baba likes this.
  10. Ejay

Ejay Supporting Member

Buying another modeler would mean one of them is gonna collect dust until the one you like best breaks down. Odds of gear breaking are low.
    Id go for something that adds to your current gear....or holds value so that collecting dust dont cost money.

If you dont own a combo, buy a used 2 channel combo, gig that and use it to power your helix later.
    If you already own a 2 channel combo and need presets...get a used boss ms3 for effects and ampswitching.

Idnk..all depends on what you got..and what you might enjoy next to your helix.

Or upgrade to kpa and sell that helix once its repaired ;) do the math...thats probably cheaper then adding a decent backup.
    Emergency back up you can always do with you phone, AmpliTube, and a 7,- cable from aliexpress ;)

Brandon7s likes this.
  11. Mayhem13

Mayhem13 Member

$600?.......Amplifire 12!

I doubt the Helix will see the light of day after.

BillTrantos likes this.
  12. 3dognate

3dognate Supporting Member

Amps in the AF3/6/12/Box are great... everything else especially control takes a back seat. I tried hard to dig the AF products having owned 2 AF3s and an AF12.

Controlling a night's worth of variety cover tune tones efficiently was a real challenge with the AF12. The Helix was easy-peasy. It was never that I couldn't get good tones though. A handful of the AF models are just uncanny, others are pretty darned good and a a few just meh.

If basic meat and potatoes tones are good enough AF12 is great... having to wing a half a dozen core tones with fx variations for 45+ songs in a night. Well that's a whole nuther ball game. Helix and KPA hit a home run here with Fractal and Boss coming in next with AF at the bottom of this list. (Headrush falls in there some where in between probably)

dmock66 likes this.
  13. jmtaylor22

jmtaylor22 Member

Results may vary, have owned Amplifire a couple of times, models are good and on par with Helix IMO. Effects and ease of use on the other hand I much prefer Helix. The stomp though I could not get by with, too few switches.

I would go used Helix LT for compatability in this case.

3dognate likes this.
  14. Pat6969

Pat6969 Supporting Member

Why not just rent something? Our Long & McQuade stores rent gear by the day, week or month. Would probably cost me $60/month to rent a Helix. Maybe this is an option for you.

15. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

AF 12 doesn’t suffer from “too few switches” IMO. You make a good case with preset compatibility, though.

dmock66 likes this.
  16. dmock66

dmock66 Member

I agree that several of the AF models are absolutely awesome! Also, the AF12 has plenty of switches. It's the ability to manipulate your signal path to meet your individual needs where things begin to separate. The AF can do multi-tap delays - but only a single setting per preset. If you use three different delays - you need three different presets to house them. From that standpoint it does get to be about preset compatibility/maintenance. Any tweak you make to your primary preset you have to replicate throughout each copy/instance that houses a unique instance of a specific delay or OD or whatever "one at a time" effect you want to have set multiple ways.

That is where the Helix/Stomp/LT really shine. It's truly a blank canvas. If you want to run 6 ODs into an amp model - you can. If you want six delays after an amp model - you can. If you want some before and some after the amp model - you can. Snapshots work for a lot of players - I prefer stomp mode - but you have that flexibility also.

That said - I am an Atomic fan and do really like their products. They fill a market and do it well.

17. bdrepko

bdrepko Supporting Member

That wont work as a backup while on the road though.

18. Baba

Baba Supporting Member

Another good suggestion. Here's my backup to my Helix (that is, until I hear a v2 Flyrig, lol):

[​IMG]

buddaman71 likes this.
  19. Pat6969

Pat6969 Supporting Member

I'd assumed he's looking for something to use while his Helix is getting fixed. I guess if he wants to keep it that wouldn't work.

20. bdrepko

bdrepko Supporting Member

Yep. Part of his original post stated he wanted something that could be used as a backup on the road after he gets his Helix back.