really bright gibson skylark

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by 909one, Aug 21, 2008.

1. 909one

909one Member

I've got a skylark, ga5t. Its a great amp.
    The only problem is that its really really bright, it has almost no low end. I have tried different speakers with no help. It uses a [FONT=Helvetica Ex, Helvetica Ex BT, Switzerland Ex, Switzerland Ex BT, Swiss Ex, Swiss Ex BT, Arial Ex, Arial Ex BT, Swis721 Ex BT, Helvetica, Switzerland, Swiss, Arial, Geneva, Sans-Serif, SansSerif][FONT=Helvetica Ex, Helvetica Ex BT, Switzerland Ex, Switzerland Ex BT, Swiss Ex, Swiss Ex BT, Arial Ex, Arial Ex BT, Swis721 Ex BT, Helvetica, Switzerland, Swiss, Arial, Geneva, Sans-Serif, SansSerif][FONT=Helvetica Ex, Helvetica Ex BT, Switzerland Ex, Switzerland Ex BT, Swiss Ex, Swiss Ex BT, Arial Ex, Arial Ex BT, Swis721 Ex BT, Helvetica, Switzerland, Swiss, Arial, Geneva, Sans-Serif, SansSerif]6BQ5 power tube, which seem sorta hard to come by these days, so I haven't been able to try a new power tube.

In the opinion of the experts, where should I start, with replacing the tubes? Or does this sound more like a cap replacement job? Any other suggestions?

[/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]

2. drgonzoguitar

drgonzoguitar Member

A 6BQ5 is just another name for the EL84. Could you record the amp and post a clip? It might help to determine how much "low end" is actually attainable.

3. 909one

909one Member

correction... its a 6AQ5 tube.

4. drgonzoguitar

drgonzoguitar Member

5. Gene

Gene Member

What year is the amp?. I believe beginning 63, Gibson istalled a "tone" chip into the circuit which caused this brightness. I've successfully modded Gibson amps from that era to the tweed specs and it sounds much better to me. The modded 64 Falcon is one of my favorites.

Some dig the very bright tone, though.

6. 909one

909one Member