• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

really confused small amp choices for metal (ghost)

lucy_strat

Hi everyone :) currently playing a fender strat 56' re issue lefty and a gibson epi les paul 97'

Usually play eric johnson, mike oldfield etc an clean 50s stuff on my mustang 3 with the strat,

recently got into Ghost and trying to learn cirice,

problem is litrually got to have the mustang on no volume cause next door started winging haha wasnt an issue with the jangly clean stuff as it sounded good low volume with cleans.

Was looking at
Micro terror orange (not got any pedals though bar an old boss gt3 from the 90's
Blackstar ht1 1 watt
Blackstar id core 10
an the blackstar fly 3
totally open to any sugesstions or opinions,

using headphones at the moment but the headphone out sucks a bit,

Cheers,

Lucy

Last edited:

highrise

Orange.
Not familiar with the micro-terror tones but anything from tiny-terror on up will get you there.

The first couple albums were very orangey toned.

If you're confined to headphones...don't get an amp with a tube power section.

MicroTerror is my vote.

Last edited by a moderator:

lucy_strat

Thanks everyone ^^ ill go check them out tomorrow sucks that none of the guitar shops have left handed guitars haha might have to take one of mine

really apreciate the opinions, main aim is to be able to play without the headphones keep getting them caught

thanks lucy :)

lucy_strat

mustang is 100 watt of power :) its just that when its low the gain/overdriven sounds really compressed/mushy if that makes sense :)

Birchi

Silver Supporting Member
I have all 4 of those amps (well, micro dark not the white one) and I like them for different reasons. Only the fly and ID Core can deliver at really low volume or through headphones. The Orange and HT1 sound bad through headphones to me.

You didn't ask this, but I will offer it up anyway.. something like Bias via ios device or PC is a great low volume or headphone solution. I play through bias more than any of those amps most of the time. Well, I've been playing the 6505mh a lot since I just bought it but thats a different story.

Sardocasm

cupcakes
Silver Supporting Member
The Fryette GPDI would be a great option. Great metal sounds and has a headphone out.

Ghast

The Orange Micro Dark is a higher gain version of the Micro Terror, plus it has an effects loop. I'd put my money on that, especially because earlier Ghost was all done on Oranges. Not sure about the new stuff, though.

I find the Blackstar HT series doesn't have lots and lots of gain on tap. Enough for Ghost, surely, but for super heavy stuff it really benefits from a drive pedal in front to goose it. May not be an issue for you, but worth noting imo.

Serenity

If volume is such a big issue, it might be worth looking at something from the Line 6 POD range.

lucy_strat

thanks everyone few i hadnt considred there ^^ micro dark looks so cool jkelly :) how do you find the tonal charicaristics with the volume right down :)

Trending Topics

Top Bottom