Really disappointed with fender(new super champ)........

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by harry65, Feb 14, 2012.

1. harry65

harry65 Member

just saw online the new super champ x2 which replaces the xd , being a guy that has gigged the xd for almost three years now at a minimum of 3 days a week i obviously love the xd , i was really hoping they would address some of the weakness's in the new version , it looks like they really haven't changed a thing except offering it in a head cab combp(converted mine to a head long ago) , imo they could have made the greatest fender amp to come out in over thirty years with just a few simple tweaks , namely..........

ditch the crappy effects and add a real spring reverb
    go with a 12 inch speaker in the combo
    make the bass and treble controls 10% more effective for the channels

these are easy fixes , if they really wanted to make an amp that would sell millions they could also..........

break up the 16 presets into two different channels , one with the cleaner fender models and the second channel with the heavier ones so you could footswitch between em

larger tranny that could run either 6v6's or 6l6's for between 15 - 25 watts

then they could double the price from $300 to $600 and sell a million but what do i know???????? oy vey............
    :bonk:bonk:)

2. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Surfin at Merewether Point, NSW Australia
    no surprised
    It's been obvious over the past 10 years that Fender amps aren't interested in innovation or in really improving anything - they sell millions as is :p

3. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Member

I'm not that familiar with anything Fender offers in their amp line-up other than the re-issues and Hot Rods. That said, what really astonishes me is how a company can be around as long as they have and still not, apparently, be able to design a decent mid to high gain circuit. I don't have any use for a high gain amp, but I'm always interested in checking out Fender's latest high gain offering just to see if they finally found something. It's almost like driving by a bad wreck. You know you don't want to see it, but you can't help but rubberneck. Once you do, you wish you hadn't.

4. Shinequwa

Shinequwa Member

You should consult for Fender. They could use it in areas other than marketing...

5. Maruuk

Maruuk Member

Love my SCXD w/RC but you can see what they're doing here: putting out a 12" combo version would be just too dang close to the vastly more expensive DRRI and frankly it would sound too good for the price. Folks would be wondering what they're paying for in the DRRI. Half of Fender's marketing is carving out protective boundaries around existing cash cows. The piggyback is different enough to not be a direct competitor.

BTW, are folks liking how that sounds? Haven't heard that head/cab combo yet.

6. harry65

harry65 Member

sad but true.............:(

7. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

What Fender should do is follow some of you TGP'rs advice and go out of business.

Hi-gain? You checked out the 5153????
    The SCXD is a great amp and it is what it is.

8. Kelly

Kelly Member

A Champ is an entry level bedroom amp. If you're gigging 3 times a week, invest in a proper amp for such purposes.

9. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Member

No, I'm not familiar with that amp. Like I said, I don't spend much time around Fender amps; more of plexi nut. And, I don't want them to go out of business. I LOVE my Strat.

10. harry65

harry65 Member

i've had guitarists for major acts we backed up compliment me on my tone , it is a "proper" amp for me , keep your cork..............

11. heavypick

heavypick Member

The SCXD is part of the backline at some places in NYC.

12. BPSUL

BPSUL Member

Can i have your autograph???

13. shakeshakeshake

shakeshakeshake Member

:spit

14. jzero

jzero Member

I also converted mine to a head. I commend fender for doing the same. Also, they did add tap tempo for the delay. That makes the fx section a LOT more useful. I just wish they'd given it 5+ watts and pull-pots for the bass and treble to give it deep and brightness switches.