Really FAT pick that is not noisy?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by KeithC, Mar 24, 2008.

1. KeithC

KeithC Silver Supporting Member

After getting the V Pick Psycho I REALLY love the feel of it. But, since I tend to play pretty clean, at volume I can really hear the pick hitting the strings.

For those not familiar it is really thick. Not like your standard thick pick.
    Any ideas where I should look for something that thick but maybe a different material?

Not a dig on the V Pick at all. For some things and sounds it is perfect and I will continue to use it. Maybe something "softer" material wise would be less noisy in the situations I am having issues with it.

2. KeithC

Do you know how thick they are? I can't tell from the link.

Thanks for the reply and link BTW :)

3. Jujo

Jujo Supporting Member

4. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

I want to say 3.5 or thicker. Not 100% sure though. They have a nice smooth sound though. They are probably not as thick as the psycho though.:eek:

5. steven.rogers

steven.rogers Member

When I saw your thread I was going to suggest the same thing. I use V-picks and Jazztones exclusively - I don't even think I have anything else. They're not quite as thick as V-picks but they're made out of a great material - you should definitely give them a try.

EDIT: They are actually 2.0 mm, I just looked it up. But even so, try them out and I think you'll like them.

6. jazzandmetal?

2.0 mm? Cool. I really like the 205s. They are really smooth and good for fast lines. I like the V-picks I have, but they are pretty noisy and bright to my ears.

7. steven.rogers

steven.rogers Member

Yep, the 205s are the same ones I use. I don't really know why they aren't more popular (for jazz, at least) - IMO they are much much better in feel and sound than the Jazz III's and other similar picks.

8. jazzandmetal?

I also use jazz IIIs..or the EJ jazz IIIs rather for a different sound, but overall I think that the 205 is probably my favorite pick next to the Fender Extra Heavy mini 351.

9. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

Have you ever tried a wooden pick? Sometimes you can find them, and they're typically as thick as the V Picks. Might be worth a shot.

10. jazzandmetal?

Search dugain picks on ebay. Lots of wood, horn and other stuff. Wegen is another I have heard good things about but not tried myself.

11. Da5Id

Da5Id Member

I love Wegen picks, but for acoustic guitar more then electric for me.

12. AndrewSimon

AndrewSimon Member

For clean Jazz nothing beats Tortis picks:
    http://www.redbeartrading.com/

Note!
    These have wonderful sound but they are very different from V-Picks.
    V-picks have both lows and highs, the Tortis is all about the low end warmth.

[​IMG]

Anyway, if you play clean jazz you must try these!
    Yeah, I know, they are very expensive $$$$

:)

13. jazzandmetal?

I was about to order one last night....yeah, only one since they are 25.00 each. where do you get yours?

14. AndrewSimon

AndrewSimon Member

Well I only have one as well.... I got it from Elderly.com
    I rarely use use it because I'm not a Jazz player but anytime you need clean warm sound these deliver with flying colors, they really sound like nothing else out there.

:)

15. KeithC

Thanks for all the replies and info.
    I'm checking them all out!

Thanks,
    Keith

16. AndrewSimon

AndrewSimon Member

17. jazzandmetal?

I have a few of those. They were marketed locally as a mandolin pick...but I got some anyways. Very similar to playing with the round end of a regular pick.

18. redeyejedi

redeyejedi Member

I use Adamas 2mm Graphite picks. They're made by Dunlop I think. Lots of attack. I don't find them noisy at all plus they've made my playing improve.

19. james russell

james russell Silver Supporting Member

I'm real fussy about pick noise on the strings, and my favorite in picks over 2.5mm thick has been the Wegen picks. The tone is huge coming off those picks, and very little pick noise. Lately I've been making my own picks out of the faux Tortoise shell pickguard material called Tortis, which is not the same as the Red Bear Tortis. My home made picks have the least pick noise I've found so far, and I've tried a ton of different picks in my search. Try one of the fat Wegens. If you don't like it, you could sell it here on the forums. I've tried the Red Bear Tortis and like them, but I don't believe you can't get them as thick as you are looking for.

Good luck!

James