Really Gas'n for BJF...which one though??

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Stressfest, Sep 22, 2006.

1. Stressfest

Stressfest Member

I'm thinking either the HB, Dyna Red or EGDM. It seems that the HB is the definitive BJF pedal but i'm open to suggestions/thoughts...gonna pull the pin on one of em. I've got quite a few bases covered with what i currently have on the board...can't help but feel i'm missing something though. Apart from self control that is. :NUTS

2. Seegs

Seegs Member

I've had quite a few and my absolute fave is the Pale/Pine Green Compressor followed by the Pink Purple Fuzz...

both would go well with and compliment the Landy and Klon...

Chow,
    Seegs

3. SebiX

SebiX Member

Hi, you really can´t say that there is THE one BJF everybody needs to have. It of course always depends on the personal taste and which kind of OD or distortion you would like to have...

The HB is a veeeery touch sensitive OD, whereas the DynaRed is kind of high gain distortion... The Emerald Green is like something in between. More gain than the HB and also more sustain but a little less dynamic than the HB

4. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

And... you can't forget about the LGW!:D It is the most all-around pedal in the lineup. It has an unbelievable amount of headroom and volume. It can go from pretty clean, adding some bottom end fullness up to having some higher gain than a TS. Right now, I am loving the E pushing into the LGW for some higher gain, sustaining lead tone.
    It depends on what you're trying to add, of course. The HB does fatten up everything it stacks with nicely. IMO, if you buy one BJF, you almost have to buy 2 because of how well they stack with each other. When I am putting them on my board, I always think in terms of which 2 will give me the most versatility. They are so quiet when stacked, yet the gain levels can be outrageously high.
    Sorry, I guess today I am no help at all.

5. Stressfest

Stressfest Member

Yeah...i'm getting the vibe that once i get one, it'll be all over for me!! haha
    I'm basically looking for something that works well with my high gain rig as a solo lift and something that stacks well for use with the AC30.
    Been checking out Fatbacks demo's and i'm leaning towards the HB...i've got a Landgraff on the way which handles the TS tones.

6. drolling

drolling Member

Stress, I really don't see how it's possible to get just one BJF. They're really in a class by themselves and highly addictive..

I started w/the Sea Blue EQ - one of the subtlest, but most musical pedals I've ever used. In my mind, the SBEQ is perhaps the quintessential BJF.. I haven't yet found an amp or guitar (is was apparently designed for piezo-equipped electro-acoustics!) that this pedal doesn't enhance in some way.

Some weeks after getting the SeaBlue, I started obsessing over Bjorn's OD pedals, and there are too dang many of them. It was pretty much a coin-toss over the EGDM & the HoneyBee, but after much agonizing, I went w/the Bee.

And what a great choice it turned out to be. The HB's thick & creamy lower mid & bass heavy sound is a perfect compliment to the bright & edgy vibe of Paul C's TIM/Timmy OD/boost pedals. If there's a med/lo-gain crunch tone that can't be dialed in w/one of these pedals, I can't imagine what it would be.

The main thing (besides money) that's stopping me from pulling the trigger on an Emerald Green & a Pine Green compressor is the current wait time on many BJFs. 5 months or more for a pre-pay's just a bit too much for me right now.

And I also know myself well enough to realize that when I eventually do get them, the GAS pains for a couple more (the DRD? the Mint Green vibe?? maybe a *custom shop* 'RRRrrr'???) of them will just start rumbling in my gut..

G@D help us all if the man ever decides to do an analogue delay...

7. Craise

Craise Member

I see you don't have any Fuzz in your line up!
    Folk Fuzz - most stright up BJF fuzz, lots of range and volume
    Candy Apple - High Gain with Octave (IMHO) like a Fuzz Factory but more controable and usable.
    Pink Purple - OD mixed with Fuzz on top...can blend more OD or more Fuzz like.
    Also as seegs pointed out, you have no comp! PGC is the best I've found...I never liked the Keeley/ross/Dyna type...too squishy and too much color. Love the PGC!
    But as I've said before the BJF Holy Trinity is (IMHO)
    Honey Bee, Dyna Red and EGDM

Here's some fuel for the fire! I feels some Bjorn flu coming on!!
    ;)

Some of my BJF clips (look up teahead/mr munky clips too! among many others)
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=168300

[​IMG]

8. SebiX

SebiX Member

:eek: Jesus!! That´s quite a nice collection :crazyguy

9. Craise

Craise Member

Thanks bro! yeah I'm hooked. I will honestly say BJF pedals are my pot of gold at the end of the Rainbow. I really have no GAS for any other makers OD or Dirtboxes. It's almost like having a Analog POD with all the different Amp Flavors.

10. Powderfinger

Powderfinger Gold Supporting Member

I've only recently gotten into the BJF addiction. Here's my take:
    Love the LGW
    Love the HB
    Love the SBEQ
    Didn't love the Dyna Red.

I may be the only person on this board who didn't go crazy over the DR, so maybe it was my rig or my ears. To me it was a little too fizzy and not as full and rich as the other BJF pedals. On Bjorn's site he compares it to a DS-1, and I could see the comparison. I already have a Keeley DS-1. It also sounded similar to my (much, much cheaper) Crunch Box. Would love to try the PGC and the EGDM.

P.S. By the way, if you don't want to wait it looked like Tonefactor had the SBEQ in stock yesterday. No idea if they're still there today, but the SBEQ is awesome.

11. Teahead

Teahead Member

I can't comment on it's use with other amps, but the EGDM fits my AC30 like a glove. The compression, chiming top end and slight sag are spot on for a convincing Vox drive. Also has way more volume than you will ever need, a huge sound that punches through a live band. Equally suited to rhythms and leads, cleans up very nicely.

The HB sounds smaller and sweeter than the EGDM, with less volume, but it does stack a little better. Not that the Emerald Green doesn't stack well, just that the 'Bee is less fussy about what's around it. HB is glorious for broken rhythm tones and subtle lead lines, being the most touch sensitive of the two.

You really are in a no lose situation with this decision. I'd almost be willing to bet that whichever you choose, it will eventually be partnered by the other, sooner or later. When you discover pedals this great, one is simply never enough. To make matters worse, EGD into HB is a phenomenal stack! Better yet, throw a PGC before either to inflate the tone even further!
    :drool
    Tea.

12. Craise

Craise Member

Howdy! :)
    Just wondering, what rig you were using with the dyna? What gain settings? I've never really found it fizzy...but I do like to roll my guitar volume down a notch when using it...it seems to sound best with my guitar around 8-9 also I keep the gain below noon...I mostly like it for that Marshall plex power tubes sounding crunch as I don't really play high gain stuff. Also do you know what number you tried?(was it the old red nitro paint?) I'm pretty sure the Dyna as gone through changes down the line from the early ones...seems to me the early ones were sounded a bit more like a high gain Baby Blue OD...but then the later ones from the last few years sound a bit tighter and more focused. I had a early numbered dyna that was like this (around #50) I thought about keeping it...as it really did have a lot of differences with my later #numbered one. Both sounded good and had the Dyna Red Sound. In the end I prefered the last few year's dyna's and sold the early one. (If I was rich I would have keep both!) Anyway...there are differences between "some" of the earlier models...I think some super early Honey Bee's and Pink Purples are a bit different too....Just my .02 !
    :dude

13. Stressfest

Stressfest Member

Now...that's tha chit' :D

14. BudLite

BudLite Supporting Member

I just got a DRD from a forum member, It sounds great IMO...Best distortion I ever played....I am waiting for a LGW to arrive....

15. Stressfest

Stressfest Member

I'm trying to find the missing puzzle piece. Not 'really' into fuzz...i like a strong direct tone with plenty of mids, something that cuts through a band with not too much fluff around it. I don't have a compressor but being more of the rock/shredder/instrumental type player i am...don't see a need for it. Trying not to have too many of the 'same' pedals in the collection. I find the Eternity covers the Distortion quite well with the Cot/Lo/Klon/Landgraff/Carb handling the various degrees of low gain/stacking duties.
    Are there any BJF's that'll knock these off my board or that will fill a different tonality??

16. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Gold Supporting Member

I have just those two on order! :AOK

17. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

BJF fever is very contagious...indeed. I just got a custom PPF like 2 or so weeks ago and now I find myself buying a EGDM and Im waiting on a MBMV...the EGDM's also gonna' be a custom job;)...Ill have to wait a week or two on the MBMV though :(...these things are worse than drugs, and more expensive of a habbit...I think that was proven though by Mr.Craise F. Kirk! But, they really are amazing pedals...I love my PPF and Im sure Ill love the EGDM for that voxy dist. sound, and Im also sure Ill love the vibe! I think you should start the same place I did, with a PPF;)

18. Oddos

Oddos Member

THE VIBE!!

Just sounds soooooooo yummy!!!:dude

19. Teahead

Teahead Member

I think you're on the right track with the HB & EGDM myself. Given your description, I'm inclined to lean towards the Emerald Green, if only because you have a few low gainers already. Which isn't to say that the HB wouldn't knock one or two of them off your board when you play it.

Don't discount the PPF & PGC though, each is something quite apart from pedals considered in the same genre. The PGC makes good sounds into great sounds and it doubles as a very nice boost when comp is backed off. The PPF is overdrive for the first half of the gain control's travel and fuzz-ish for the second half.

The secret ingredient to Bjorn's stuff, for me, is the Body/Nature control. Never a simple treble roll off, but something quite different and unique that is highly interactive with the other knobs. The PGC would be good enough without it, but add that Body control and it becomes an astoundingly versatile tool.

20. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Biggus Bearfootus Vendor

I think depending on the rig the SBEQ would get my BJFE MVPedal award.... it seems to match whatever pedals I use to the amp just right, its that last 5% between Great sound and Perfect sound - that last bit you didnt even realize was missing...... and it works with Eternities and Landys and Mosferatus etc. also..... especially with distortions it integrates that last little rough fizziness that we put up with to get the sustain and grind but once you hear it 'finished' its 'ahhhhh thats it . '
    and this is especially true for those playing brighter clearer rigs.:BEER