Really getting into a particular brand/model

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Blue4Now, Apr 19, 2016.

1. Blue4Now

Blue4Now Gold Supporting Member

I am now semi obsessed with the Gretsch 6120. I now own 2 and a 6118 LTV (which is close). I am just absorbing everything I can about the 6120. Its history, players, variations over the years.

Not sure why I connected to this particular brand and model but its ben a cool ride so far.

I go nuts when I see them on TV and I have an almost visceral reaction to them. In the back of my head I am contemplating a custom shop Stern version. Hmmmmmmmmmm

anyone else really immerse themselves like this?

enharmonic likes this.
  2. Mojo Shinn

Mojo Shinn Supporting Member

I love the 6120! I like the neck feel, the Gretsch sound, especially with the hollow body models, filtertrons. and the Bigsby. The only issue I have with these is the size.... At 5'7", I look like I'm playing a bathtub when I strap on a Gretsch... Ergonomically, the duo jet is the only choice for me. No question though... Gretsch has a unique, sexy look with these guitars... and the sound is unlike anything else.

[​IMG]
    OK, Malcolm is a little shorter than me, but you get the idea....

I think it's pretty normal to get infatuated with a particular type of guitar... It's unusual (for me anyway) to have that infatuation last more than a few weeks or months before I start looking at something else. I would say, in your case, that you've found monogamy with your guitar, and that's a good thing.

Blue4Now and MrLahey like this.
  3. ant_riv

ant_riv Supporting Member

Over the years, when I've first "discovered" a new style of guitar, I do tend to go overboard.

For me, it's been because of the inherent variation of wood, etc. and wanting to have the chance to find the "best" one, for me. Once I do, I tend to stay with that one before moving on to "discover" something new.

Blue4Now likes this.
  4. Blue4Now

I only have an 1/2 inch on yah but I don't think a 6120 looks too big on me. That looks like a falcon on the Pic. even bigger that a 6120

Mojo Shinn likes this.
  5. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Supporting Member

Good stuff. I'm like that with Les Pauls and go crazy inside whenever I see one.

bluesjuke likes this.
  6. Dirtystranger

Dirtystranger Member

I've become a Guild freak.....the old Bluesbird with the mini hums......light and sweet. The later solid blluesbird with the full size 'buckers is wild and wonderful......

Blue4Now and Frankee like this.
  7. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

I am currently like that on Les Pauls though I have always had them in combination with other Gibsons.

At the moment I am now all Les Paul in the Gibson Department and happy with that.

8. PBGas

PBGas Supporting Member

I'm like this with Ibanez. I've been using them since about 1982ish and I've never stopped loving the look, feel and sound of them. Currently I have 3 main guitars that I gig and record with regularly and 1 ibby bass that I only use to record.

NorCal_Val likes this.
  9. phazersonstun

phazersonstun Member

I've been on a severe Tele bender for a few years. Before that, it was Les Pauls.

Dspec1 and enharmonic like this.
  10. rjg3000

rjg3000 Member

I've been really infatuated with PRS as of late. I had ignored them for years up until just a few months ago when I picked up my Custom 24. Now I'm looking to buy an SC-58 and Mira to go with it. Before this, I was strictly into high end super strats, mostly Suhr and Anderson.

11. Aslan

Aslan Silver Supporting Member

I'm in love with Guild Starfire's, I have 2 Starfire IV's and a V model. The Guild mini-humbuckers are the best humbuckers I have found.

12. SPROING!

SPROING! Member

I'm in with P90s. I'll figure how to install them in anything.

phazersonstun likes this.
  13. Blue4Now

Nice! This thread has some cool stuff

14. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Member

The chase is always better than the catch, IMHO.

Bossanova and jdogric12 like this.
  15. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

I have done the same thing since my early days of playing. The first guitar that had that effect on me was the Fender Tele Jr. I had 4 of those at one point. Loved them, and would love to have one in particular back to this very day.

Then, it was Les Paul Customs. Owned three of those, plus a few standards. Always preferred the Customs, though.

Then, it was Gretsch. Owned 3 Sparkle Jets. My first one was my favorite, though the last one was the best of the bunch, sonically.

Then, it was McInturffs. Owned 6 of those, 4 of which were the Taurus model, which has evolved into the Carolina. Terry's guitars are so good, they're mind-bending.

Then, it was MotorAve BelAire's. I've owned 3 of those. Still have my first one, and a fourth one on the way this fall.

Today, I'm taking a "Noah's Ark" approach to the core of my collection. Two LP's (R9, and an R8 Custom) Tele's (2 partscasters configured as an Esquire and a 62 Custom), and BelAires (both with TV Jones Duo-Trons). I'll round it out with a few others before I'm done, but those 3 are the wheelhouse.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
    Blue4Now likes this.
  16. Gallery

Gallery Supporting Member

Les Paul... been obsessed since around 1992.

17. onewire

onewire Member

18. HTSMetal

HTSMetal Member

Epiphone archtops for me. Love 'em!

GuitarGalah likes this.
  19. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val Member

Ibanez RG/Universe/Prestige/K7/M80M
    since late '88

PBGas likes this.
  20. Stratburst70

Stratburst70 Member

I've been on a Fender kick since 2005 when I bought my #1 Strat. Now, I have 5 Strats, two Teles (a friend is building me a third) and my main bass is a 2009 Precision. My other guitars are either collecting dust or sitting in their cases.