Really Old Guitarist Coming Aboard.

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by arlum, Nov 20, 2017.

1. arlum

arlum Gold Supporting Member

I'm probably not the person you would seek for kudos on digital / modeling / modern gear. I admit up front that I'm stuck in the past. I'll be 63 this January and words that attract my attention are analog, hand wired, point to point, vintage, effects, boutique, Rivera era, Sampson era, etc.
    I've had a long time to build up my gear and formulate my opinions.
    I'm a songwriter, ex- music teacher, lover of 60's and 70's psychedelic, 50's rock & roll, hard rock until it gets too metal, blues, blues rock, country and jazz. I'm old fashioned. Hell ..... I'm just old.
    I've been buying and upgrading my gear for over 55 years. I started playing guitar in 1961 and got my first electric in 1964.
    I now own pretty much everything I want. Unless something mind numbing comes along I won't be buying any more gear. I've purchased and upgraded and purchased and upgraded so many times that I've probably helped more than a few gear companies over the years.
    I'm a songwriter who found it was easier for me to write music on a guitar than on a piano. Pianos offer a lot more in chord formation, etc. but, also offer far more of a landscape than I require to bring the messages of my songs to bare. I'm words and music. Straight forward.
    Anyway, I'm done buying gear. I've probably owned ten to fifteen pedals of every effect type offered. I've owned guitars and amplifiers from multiple manufacturers listed as production, custom and boutique. I know what I like. I don't expect anyone else to share my opinions.
    I've shown up here because on multiple occasions I've referenced your forum when considering gear purchases and more than a few of your opinions have born fruit. Excellent fruit.
    I have my favorites and I'm sure everyone here will have theirs. I won't be argumentative or participate in squabbles.
    I love the electric guitar, electric guitar amplifiers and pedal board effects as well as all the accessories needed within the signal chain.

arlum

2. stealthtastic

stealthtastic Supporting Member

3. soulman969

soulman969 Member

Welcome from one "old school boy" to another. :beer

4. archtopjazz

archtopjazz Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Hi,

Welcome to TGP.

Jim

5. FlyingVBlues

FlyingVBlues Gold Supporting Member

Welcome to TGP. I’m another old guy happily ensconced in the vintage/analog world. I got my first electric guitar, a shiny new SG Jr., in 1961 and I’ve been at it ever since.

84Bravo likes this.
  6. arlum

arlum Gold Supporting Member

In my case 1961 was the year my father bought me my first guitar. A very plain 6 string acoustic that I think he paid $17.00 for. He said, "When you can play Under the Double Eagle we'll see about getting you something better".

Thank You all for your welcomes.

sfarnell and AceBSpankin like this.
  7. Lef T

Lef T Member

I'm older than you,my friend.
    I still rock.
    Welcome aboard.

HaroldBrooks and jens5 like this.
  8. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

Welcome, Arlum. There are more here that you'll find in common than not.

I'm 60, have been playing professionally 40 years, and have gone through damn near every piece of vintage and hand-wired tube gear worth having.

And some crappy circuit board production amps that sound pretty good to. Earlier this week I played 2 sets with a Gibson semi-hollow plugged straight into the clean channel of a Fender Blues Deluxe with the volume and midrange DIMED, bass rolled off and reverb bypassed - and it sounded like the heavens opening up (it's sometimes amazing how much variety you can get just by using dynamics, along with a guitar's volume and tone controls). In fact, I did the same thing again last night on a last-minute sub gig where the back line was a reissue Deluxe Reverb. Same results.

Welcome to TGP, where no matter how much gear you have, someone's going to eventually show you something else you gotta have!

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
    Lef T and jens5 like this.
  9. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

Welcome from another over 50(LOL) songwriter...

10. jens5

jens5 Supporting Member

5 years your senior and still goin at it. Welcome to the show.

HaroldBrooks likes this.
  11. guitargeezer

guitargeezer Silver Supporting Member

Me, too. Started about the same time as you, and got my first electric also about the same time (right after the Ed Sullivan Show with those lads from Liverpool)...although I took a 35-year hiatus from playing. Welcome. Kid!

12. silky_sam

silky_sam Gold Supporting Member

You're in good company.....take it from a 65 yr old.
    Contribute if you're able and become a supporting member.....few places I'd rather hang these crazy days

13. aiq

aiq Supporting Member

So relieved this isn't a thread from a young band seeking advice on how to deal with a new member.

Welcome from one slightly more elderly than yourself.

Scott941 likes this.
  14. massacre

massacre Silver Supporting Member

15. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

16. Jay K

Jay K Member

Not sure 63 is very old by TGP (or other) standards. But welcome aboard even if by inference you called me "very old."

17. 1bluzman

1bluzman Supporting Member

I enjoy TGP i like reading the threads and have bought and sold gear too ! I hear ya on getting older I'm 62 got my first electric in 1965 yiiks I forgot
    it was that long ago :eeks Welcome aboard .

18. NewLeaf09

NewLeaf09 Supporting Member

63 as well - welcome!

19. HaroldBrooks

HaroldBrooks Member

Welcome !

20. Toowoombaus

Toowoombaus Silver Supporting Member

Welcome! Good luck with the "I'm done buying gear" thing...
    Hanging around here there are always interesting discoveries right up your alley you may find hard to resist! Sounds like you'll fit right in. ;)