Really, really, REALLY funny...every OD snob should read.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by popsongsmith, May 4, 2008.

1. popsongsmith

popsongsmith Senior Member

Do you own a Klon? an AnalogMan King of Tone? perhaps an original TS808? Did you pay $400 for it? $500? MORE?

Here are a few excerpts from a book I found in my fathers library of DIY books. It's a TAB book published in 1973 titled "How To Repair Musical Instrument Amplifiers" by Byron Wells. The following excerpts are so funny in the context of many of the discussions found in TGP that they had me literally rolling on the floor laughing hysterically. Here are a few gems for your consideration and laughing pleasure.

"Today's younger set, representing a huge market, is vitally interested in electronically amplified musical instruments, any they're buying them almost as fast as the manufacturers can turn them out. Electric guitars, electric basses, electronic pianos and organs drive huge amplifiers that have, in some medical circles, been accused of damaging hearing ability with their power!

"And these instruments do go bad. But that sometimes doesn't stop the kids. One youngster's amplifier developed a noisy transistor that created a horrible buzzing in his speaker every time a string was plucked. Undismayed, he used the instrument anyway. The result? It's called the 'fuzz sound' now, and the manufacturers are turning out instruments, amplifiers and accessories with 'fuzz' built right in! The big search is on for a new sound, and they jump at anything that's remotely different.

"You can deliberately distort a loudspeaker by taping any of a number of items across the cone so as to produce rattle or added vibration. We have seen everything used from loose springs to rubber bands or bits of paper."

So the next time you're GASing for a $500 distortion pedal, just break out the rubber bands and bits of paper, and spend that $500 on, oh, I don't know, food for a starving third-world family for a year?[​IMG]

2. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

just ask the late, great link wray about slicing up his speakers with a razor blade, or johnny burnette (of rock & roll trio fame) about pulling one tube halfway out of the socket.

3. Curly

Curly Member

if that's from '73, then the author was already behind the times, since some of the best fuzz tones were already made

4. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

That was my first thought!

5. dancehall

dancehall Member

yeah, I have always found it pretty ironic that the tones most of us pursue are basically simulations of an amplification flaw.

6. paraedolia

paraedolia Member

And a lot of that came about because of a social flaw...racism. Not sure how true it is, but I read that often the engineers wouldn't bother as much (or at all) if they were recording a 'coloured' group -- so distortion would go uncorrected. Then of course the English guys like EC et al. were hearing this and trying to get that sound, and now we're paying out large sums of money for little sunburst boxes to emulate that sound. 'sfunny.

7. jb1911

jb1911 Member

When does the funny part start?

8. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Yeah...I'd consider changing the subject to "Slightly Amusing" (though there is another that begins that way around here somewhere) as if you bill it as "really, really, REALLY funny..." it ought to be thigh-slapping, gut-splitting, rolling on the floor, piss in your pants funny.

This didn't pass the pants test

or the gut, thigh, floor test. It was amusing.

9. rob2001

rob2001 Member

I had a Fender Musicmaster amp with a shot speaker so I replaced it. To me it sounded horrible with the new speaker so I quickly put the old nasty, speaker back in. Some of my best recorded tones were from that amp and rattling speaker.

10. musicman1

musicman1 Member

jb1911...may I echo those words??

11. popsongsmith

it's not funny if you've spend more than $250 on "boutique distortion"...

12. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Actually it is...THAT'S when it becomes "Treasure of Sierra Madre" funny.

(when the two guys left search for the bags of gold at the end, and see that theives mistook it for sand, scattered the bags contents, and the gold they broke their backs mining out of the mountain for months, has been blown up the mountain again...and start to laugh...and laugh..because at that point, it IS funny..and what else is there?)

13. jb1911

jb1911 Member

You can sig them if you'd like.:cool:

14. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

so your on stage, and you need to go from clean to dirty..so instead of stomping on a pedal you run over to your amp and fling some paper bits and rubber bands on the speaker cone...then when you need to go from dirty to clean you run over and brush the crap off the cone...or better yet stomp a pedal that trigers and indicator light over your techs head and he will add and remove the clutter...

then we can all debate what brand rubber band and what grade of paper is best for low gain and high gain...construction paper and red rubber bands have more mids...

buwahahahahaha

15. popsongsmith

excellent point. maybe I'll be the first supplier of "boutique" rubber bands and paper bits...

16. cram

cram Member

I like the tale of the producer working with the beatles on the white album. I don't recall the interview or piece I watched where he said this, but basically talking about how Lennon kept wanting more distortion for revolution and the producer was doing stuff to the studio's equipment he'd surely get fired for doing - overloading the amp, which of course became the desirable sound the OP quotes refer to.

Pretty cool and thanks for posting that. I love reading stuff like that.

17. HBob

HBob Member

Now that's funny.