Really REALLY stupid question...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Blurillaz, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Blurillaz

Blurillaz Member

If I get a tube amp head can I use it with my fender 15 g until I get a cab? Sorry that this is so stupid...

2. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Gold Supporting Member

15 watts into 8 ohms
    8" Fender Special Design Speaker
    That's what's in your Frontman. As long as your head is under 15W and 8 Ohms, you should be fine.

3. Giga

Giga Member

What's a Fender 15 g ?

Giga.

4. Blurillaz

Blurillaz Member

Little beginner amp.. had it for 2 years.

5. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Gold Supporting Member

6. Giga

Giga Member

Ok, combo I presume ? Probably a ****** speaker if it's a beginners amp so it will not sound great. Also keep the max. power that you can feed into it in check. And you probably have to think of a way to plug your amp into the speaker (add a jack somewhere f.i.)

Good luck and have fun !

Giga.

7. doctord02

doctord02 Member

Just be sure to disconect the speaker from the combo and rig up a connection to the new head. DO NOT plug the head into a spare/parallel speaker jack on the practice amp - you will damage the small amp and possibly the new head.

8. epluribus

epluribus Member

Every one of my amps gets speaker in/out jacks, marked with impedance (the ohms) and power handling capacity. I like to swap speakers and amps, it's fun.

So yes, as long as the impedance matches and you don't drive it hard enough to blow the speaker, have at it. (I use a Weber Mass to protect my smaller speakers.) 'Specially if it gets you by till you get or build a cab to go with the new head.

One caution--if you do blow the speaker, depending on how bad it is, you could have a hot amp suddenly getting slammed with no speaker load . That would be pretty destructive. Not entirely sure you could totally smoke a speaker to that extent just by overdriving it, but I'd be askin' that question.

--Ray

9. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Your current little Fender will sound better into a high quality speaker than any tube amp into the g speaker. You might consider a long-term plan, getting a good speaker system first and procuring the amp later. You WILL need a good speaker at some point, anyway.

10. epluribus

epluribus Member