Really stupid question, but please answer.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Blurillaz, Dec 25, 2009.

1. Blurillaz

Blurillaz Member

I'm getting sick of replacing every tube when one goes bad, is there a way to tell exactly which one(s) has gone bad?

2. Scott Auld

Scott Auld Staff Member

Replace them one at a time until the amp starts working again.

Often, but not always, the bad one glows hot red.

3. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Yes definately replace pre amp tubes one at a time. Take a known good 12AX7 and sub it into in the V1,then V2,PI until the offeding tube is found(if any). The power tubes are a bit trickier since they should be somewhat matched and often if one is redplating its the one next to it thats the problem! So IMO if a tubes redplated for a bit I consider it unusable anyways and possibly two tubes are bad at that point.At any rate if I have a replacement thats fairly matched I'll try it in the redplated tubes place first and watch it closely to see if its going red. If it looks ok then I know its the bad one and Im good to go. If its starts going red I shut down the amp and try the one next to it. At this point if its a 2 power tube amp Ive just replaced both power tubes- like it or not. HTH Bob

4. Blurillaz

Blurillaz Member

Well, I know it's a power amp tube. I suppose this time I'll just buy the whole set I need so that they are all installed at the same time and next time test like you guys suggested, thanks for the help.