Really weird and really cool Strobostomp experience....

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Chadley, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Chadley

Chadley Member

So this last weekend my Strobostomp 2, which I have been using for about 9 months now, decided to stop working. The screen just stopped working completely. Hmmmm.....weird.

This is where things starting getting cool.

Befuddled and a little angry I decided to call Peterson directly. I was able to find a phone number and the name of the technical manager directly on their website without tons of digging around (cool!). I called the number, was politely greeted by an operator who put me directly in contact with their technical person (awesome!). She was also very nice and asked me for the serial number of my tuner, told me there was a batch of them made around the time I bought mine that had this specific problem. She then proceeded to send me an email with directions on how to fix it, assuring me that if it didn't work that I could send it to them and they would fix it free of charge (even cooler!).

That was cool. Now for more of the weird part.

The directions instructed me to open up the unit and to actually snip off a certain capacitor....don't replace it, don't bypass it, simply snip it off. Well, I did and it fixed the problem. My tuner now works flawlessly again. Once again....kinda weird.

When the tuner stopped working I was seriously considering just picking up another Boss tuner, because we have all heard the Peterson reliability nightmares, right? I thought, "Here it goes, should have listened to all the TGP'rs about these things". After my wonderful customer support experience (even though I find the solution a little strange) I wouldn't get rid of this tuner for anything! How often do you find a company in today's world where you can actually get a human being on the line and be helped out immediately? That is priceless in my experience.

Just wanted to pass this along.

2. Beam Tetrode

Beam Tetrode Member

I had a weird Strobostomp experience too. I recently found out that Strobostomps are not really true bypass! Very uncool.

3. GreenTea

GreenTea Member

THANK YOU!!! That is EXACTLY what happened to mine but when I called Peterson they wanted me to send in for expensive repair. I'll call again but would you mind sharing precisely which cap to snip (or pm me the instructions)? Greatly appreciate the post!!

4. todaystomorrow

todaystomorrow Member

All depends on how the internal dip switches are set ... or are you referring to something else you discovered?

5. pear gage

pear gage Member

6. tonewave

tonewave Member

I had the same experience, via email though.
    I toured with the screen disappearing half way through gigs arggghh for about 2 months cos I didn't want to risk the 'clip out' fix while I needed the tuner for my suhr bf tuning.
    but once that was over, I opened her up and clipped and voila!
    I agree that it felt really wierd just chopping a part out like that.
    I mean who put that part in there in the first place!
    strange and wierd to me.

as for true bypass, I never go through a tuner, ever. I always split before it and give it its own feed.

7. charmboy

charmboy Member

How are you going to come out here and make a claim like this without backing it up? For all of the shortcomings I hear about SS and SS2, this is the first time I've heard somebody dispute the bypass. You really can't make a claim like that without sharing your source. You've talked the talk, now walk the walk please.

8. tonewave

tonewave Member

here here :)

9. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Editing my post here...I was wrong. Stinkfoot, SD-1, and a number of others stories confirmed
    for sure what SD-1 wrote below me here.... 1 M phm resistor to ground when in "TB" mode.

NOT COOL. Worst part is, it absolutely didn't have to be that way to solve "popping" problems.

And just to quote the specific part of this:
    "Very few actually do produce any tuners with a true bypass arrangement. The only two I have confirmed to be true bypass are the Peterson StroboStomp and the Korg PitchBlack. As for the others... in many cases, I know they aren't, and in others it hasn't been confirmed to be either way."

I know "stinkfoot" to be a reliable, knowledgeable source. He gets it right.
    I.T. is wrong, but may have not known you have to set the dip switches...the Peterson CAN be set to TB, or not by the user.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
  10. Beam Tetrode

Beam Tetrode Member

Even with the dip switches set for 'true bypass' there is a 1 meg resistor connecting the audio path to ground. Plug a cable into the input or output jack and measure resistance with your multimeter from tip to sleeve. You will read a resistance of 1 meg with the pedal in bypass. Folks, this is not true bypass! This resistor is loading down your signal and robbing high end.

11. beej

beej Supporting Member

Assuming it's there .... 1/Rt=1/R1+1/R2 .... etc.

2 x 250k pots gives you 125k coming out of your guitar. Add a 1 Meg resistor in parallel to that and you get 124.98k. Hardly "robbing".

12. dosmun

dosmun Member

This is true for pretty much every TB pedal out there.

13. AfterDarkMusic

AfterDarkMusic Member

Owned

14. duende

duende Member

Thank you!!

Finally some sense is brought into the equation. This is what my ears have been telling me since I got the damn thing. And is why I now have a Korg Pitch Black on my board.

btw... my strobo screen went out on me two times.

Sorry guys. I.T. is most certainly CORRECT. Do some listening... The Strobostomp is not true-bypass!!

15. RockStarNick

RockStarNick Supporting Member

Isn't that resistor put there to prevent "popping" when you step on the mechanical switch?

I'm sure Strobostomp had to pick the lesser of two evils. Hide a resistor in there to prevent pops, of be prepared for the barrage of calls from angry customers saying that their pedals are popping...

16. duende

duende Member

Do all guitars utilize 2 x 250k pots?

I assure you, with both my Jazzmaster and my Gretch, the strobostomp most certainly removes high-end. Enough so that I prefer it out of my chain.

On the contrary the Korg Pitch Black does not effect my clean tone at all.

17. K-man

K-man Member

Please stop spreading misinformation. That's called a pulldown resistor and it is present on just about every true-bypass pedal to keep it from popping when switching it on or off.

And by the way resistors don't filter frequencies, capacitors do. A resistor by itself will not bleed any high frequencies to ground.

18. Chadley

Chadley Member

Jeesh, this is one of those things that drives me crazy about this forum. People popping off misinformation about things they really don't know anything about.

So, back on topic....

Hooray for good customer support!

19. beej

beej Supporting Member

It's a pretty common example. But the point is, a high input impedance won't significantly load your guitar.

I dunno, I've never noticed any tone loss with the SS and I've yet to hear that it's an issue with anyone. Are you sure yours is in TB mode and not stuck buffering?

Anyway ... mighty cool customer support indeed. Glad it all worked out.

20. Beam Tetrode

Beam Tetrode Member

Resistance from signal to ground will affect the resonant peak of your pickup.

Consider that the input impedance of most amplifiers is established by a 1 Meg resistor from signal to ground. The Strobostomp adds another 1 Meg resistance in parallel - it is R29 on the main circuit board and it's connected at all times. This drops your impedance many thousands of ohms, the pickup's resonant peak is softened, and tone is compromised.

There is no reason to use a pulldown resistor connected to the bypassed signal path. It is much more effective to wire the switch so that the input of the tuner circuit is shunted directly to ground while the unit is bypassed. This is how the best pedal designers do it.

I recently emailed Andreas of Stinkfoot regarding this Strobostomp bypass flaw. He supports my findings.

beej: The math in your post #11 is incorrect. 125K in parallel with 1 Meg is actually 111,111 ohms. Once you facor in the amp's 1 Meg resistor the number drops further to 100,000 ohms. These differences are audible.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2008