• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Reamping... Can anyone clarify?

I'd like to have a go at reamping... specifically because I want to test some microphones and want to be able to move them, record them and generally try different stuff but with a baseline of the same content.

I know how to DI my electric tracks in nicely and I know that my Radial JDI can be used as a reamper... but I'm not sure HOW.

I have an Apogee Quartet and I use Outs 1-2 for my monitors (they go to a Mackie Big Knob) and I use Logic... can anyone step me through? Or point me in the right direction?

I tried, today, with a cable (1/4" TRS to XLR) from Output 3 to the JDI and a 1/4" cable to my amp. I had my track set to output to 3... but got nothing at the amp.

Anyone? Much obliged.

Rex Anderson

http://www.radialeng.com/jcr.php

http://www.radialeng.com/jdi.php

JDI does not have a balanced input-it is a DI (it has a balanced XLR output), not a reamper.

You need a box that takes line level in from your interface and puts out a guitar level unbalanced signal to plug into your guitar amp.

Sounds like you had the wrong 1/4" to XLR to plug into your JDI. Outputs are male XLR, inputs are female XLR. You must have plugged the output of your interface into the JDI's output which can be dangerous for both boxes.

http://www.radialeng.com/jcr.php
http://www.radialeng.com/jdi.php
JDI does not have a balanced input-it is a DI (it has a balanced XLR output), not a reamper.
I'm aware of the differences... but as I'd already read, before posting the question (page 11 of the manual for the JDI);

"Part 6 – Other cool uses for your JDI

Use the Radial JDI to re-amplify your signal!

Today, a popular studio effect is to record a signal such as guitar, voice or keyboard on a track and then run the pre-recorded track back through a guitar amplifier or effect pedal."

You need a box that takes line level in from your interface and puts out a guitar level unbalanced signal to plug into your guitar amp.
Yes, this much I know. And, as I'd also read, a JDI box, being a passive DI with a Jensen transformer can work in both directions.
Sounds like you had the wrong 1/4" to XLR to plug into your JDI
Yes, again, which is why I'm asking. I might be fairly inexperienced but I tend not to ask a question unless I've done at least a bit of reading up... the Radial manual shows a simple diagram of a tape player plugged into a JDI, which is then plugged into ANOTHER JDI and then into an amp. In the text it says,

"Simply connect the output from the recorder to a mixer and the mixer’s output to the JDI’s XLR output using a female-to- female XLR turn-around adaptor."

But I'm not using a tape recorder or a mixer. I'm coming out the back of my interface from my DAW. So... how do I cable that? How do I 'turn it around'?

Rex Anderson

OK, I looked at the manual. Sorry I hadn't done that. Because you are coming out of your interface, which is balanced line level, you can go into the XLR output of the JDI (use a 1/4" balanced (TRS) to female XLR) and then go out of the 1/4" input on the JDI to the input of your amp (use a guitar cable, 1/4" TS, not TRS). If you don't have a 1/4" to female XLR cable, buy a Switchcraft female to female XLR adapter.

If you have done all that and you get no signal, it must be a routing issue. Make sure you assign the output of your channel correctly and there is actually output there before you plug into the JDI.

OK, I looked at the manual. Sorry I hadn't done that. Because you are coming out of your interface, which is balanced line level, you can go into the XLR output of the JDI (use a 1/4" balanced (TRS) to female XLR) and then go out of the 1/4" input on the JDI to the input of your amp (use a guitar cable, 1/4" TS, not TRS). If you don't have a 1/4" to female XLR cable, buy a Switchcraft female to female XLR adapter.

If you have done all that and you get no signal, it must be a routing issue. Make sure you assign the output of your channel correctly and there is actually output there before you plug into the JDI.
Yeah... that's exactly what I have and what I did... 1/4" TRS at interface to a female XLR going into the JDI and then regular guitar 1/4" from the JDI to the amp.

So, I guess my problem is more of a Logic Pro problem... ok, at least I know I didn't do anything boneheaded with the cabling, thanks.

Ok... got it sorted. Turns out I was pretty much doing everything 'right' but that there was something funky going on with my interface/software. Now I'm a happy little reamper...

Trending Topics