Reaper Users. chime in please

stevel

I think we need a DAW subsection now! It's sort of a keyboards question, but sort of a DAW question...I've joined the Reaper forum but am awaiting moderater approval apparently, so...

Downloaded a free trial of Reaper.

Question 1:

I have a Roland FA 06 that can send both MIDI and Audio over USB (it's an "audio interface" as well a MIDI connection).

Reaper seems to recognize everything OK - I'm able to set up a MIDI track and record and playback MIDI - I can monitor through the Headphones on the FA.

I can also set up an audio track and record audio from the FA, and play that back to the FA as well. I know I'm hearing audio both ways because I can select thru monitoring and hear both the incoming and outgoing signal (latency) and deselect monitoring and only hear when I play, or when I playback.

So all that's as it should be.

But what I wanted to do was record the audio from the FA over USB (just like above) but route the audio the track plays back not to the FA (which just goes directly to its headphones) but use the internal Mac speakers.

There doesn't seem to be any way to do this!

There is an option in the preferences to use a different output than input, but it has a warning like "not recommended" or something of that nature.

I tried it and it didn't work, and seemed to lag and stutter real bad (no audio, just level meters randomly showing up).

I can see where one would usually use a standalone audio interface as both their in and out monitoring source, but I don't want to!

Question 2:

The Metronome appears to be audio only.

I see there's an "insert click" that appears do lay down an *audio* click track on an actual track.

But there doesn't seem to be any MIDI output of the click. Am I wrong?

Question 3:

For those of you who've paid the $60.00 for Reaper, do you feel it's worth it?

I have an old version of Cubase LE that works fine and I'm used to the layout ('twas free). I also have Audacity. I work with Pro Tools daily, and Garageband and Logic Pro X (on workplace computers that I didn't pay for :).

There are only a couple of very limited virtual instruments that come with Reaper. and there are a lot of other little "oddities" (non standard things) compared to the - well, expensive - programs. Seems to be well featured (right click will show you that) but it also seems to have a lot of extraneous/unnecessary stuff and is honestly a bit overwhelming even for someone like me who's familiar with many DAWs. Not as "streamlined" as even the free version of Cubase LE.

Does the full version come with additional goodies to make it worth the money? I know it's not a lot for some people, but it's more than I can just spend on a whim.

Chris6870

Reaper trial is fully functional. Once the trial period is up you will get a pop up when you open it asking you to purchase. You can continue evaluating you just need to wait for the pop up to time out. Paying the $60 is the right thing to do,but it is not required to continue evaluating it after the trial is up. PAying does not get you anymore features AFAIK.

Multicellular

Ive used different outputs than inputs no problem. I had a goofy setup with two soundcards for a while while I was finishing a patchbay.

Q2 no idea. I have a little preset that has a kick snare and hat sample I use to replace the stock one and loop it. Theres probably another way.

Q3...ya...one I can actually answer. The paid version is the same as the demo. For layout...because I came from another DAW, i right off customized the layout and buttons to make it more familiar to me.

JCM 800

There is only 1 version of Reaper, no demo or "light" version. It's a full featured professional DAW just like Pro Tools, Logic, Cubase. Only you can decide if $60 is worth it.

Also there is only 1 kind of track in Reaper (it does everything) not separate audio, midi, and, and instrument tracks.

Last edited:

Edwood

Gold Supporting Member
One great thing about Reaper is that you can record Midi as audio,No bouncing. It's a great DAW, and for $60, a no brainer!

loudboy

There are several free VSTs for Reaper - I've been using "Synth 1" and it seems fine for my purposes. Hundreds of free soundbanks for it.

Ed DeGenaro

Silver Supporting Member
Aggregate device under Audio/Midi in osx... Let's you turn multiple soundcards into one.

60 bucks well spent buying Reaper.

stevel

One great thing about Reaper is that you can record Midi as audio,No bouncing. It's a great DAW, and for $60, a no brainer!

???

Are you talking about Virtual Instrument tracks?

You can record MIDI, but it remains MIDI. You can't simply "convert" this to audio without first recording the output from some external MIDI device (synth) into an audio track.

An internal VSTi however can be triggered by MIDI, and records MIDI notes, but produces audio internally, so that can be mixed down without going back to have to record it in.

Of course, the sounds from an external synth can be recorded in as audio too.

Pretty much all DAWS (that are both sequencers and audio recorders) do this. Logic Pro X, Garageband and Cubase (even LE) certainly do.

Ed DeGenaro

Silver Supporting Member
I'm thinking he's referring to the ability of recording the audio out of the vsti

Trending Topics

Top Bottom