• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Reaper Users, chime in please

stevel

I have access to, and use Pro Tools, Logic Pro X, Grageband, Cubase, Sibelius and Finale through work. I've used many of those for years, through many versions and am pretty familiar with most of them.

At home though, I'm stuck only with gear I can afford (which is cheap or free, or things from work I'm allowed to use).

I have Cubase LE and old Garageband (and Audacity) at home.

To do something Cubase LE wouldn't do, I decided to download and try Reaper, since the 60 day evaluation is free and fully functional, and the price is only $60.00 if you do decide to buy it.

For those of you who've used other "pro" applications, how does Reaper stack up in your opinion?

I mean, I know it's not PT or Logic - it's 60 bucks.

It seems to be, thus far, equivalent to Cubase LE (which was free with a piece of gear, but unsupported).

Because it is SO featured, there's actually too much information being thrown at you at once - unlike GarageBand which is a polar opposite - they only give you what you need and you can get on to the business of making music.

But at the same time, I find Garageband to be fine for "scratch" projects, but for something a little more "professional", I often want more control than what GB gives me easily (so I turn to Logic for those needs).

Of course, you can get professional results from GB too depending on what you're doing.

How about Reaper? Is it worth the $60 bucks long term? Or is it a "buy it because it's cheap to get you through until you can afford something better" type of software?

pbmw

I'm a reaper user
I got PT (I think) LE with some hardware and got immediately confused.
I'm old school though and run everything through my desk, into the rack and out to my H24. I bought a Motu 2408 (and I have a Pro 40 also) and am editing in Reaper. Kind of a hybrid system, if you will
But my point is, there are LOTS of tutorial video's on the Reaper site, and plenty of info out there to get you going. It's absolutely worth the $60.

electricity17

Reaper does everything Protools does, it's a complete DAW. There's a definite learning curve but it's worked great for me.

stevel

Oh my god. My memory has never been that good in the first place, but I must be slipping even more in my old age! It strikes me most funny that I used the exact same title - must be how my brain works (or doesn't).

I've posted on the Reaper forum (probably the exact same thing, which is why I forgot I posted it here) too, but it doesn't even seem very active to me.

I'm figuring a lot of it out on my own, but it's got a trillion functions and a trillion pages to the manual and a trillion videos that are a trillion hours long.

And I can figure out on my own how to do most stuff (and have).

I'm surprised no one there could even answer if the Metronome has MIDI out or not. But that's the kind of detail level I need questions answered for. I watch a video and it's "creating a track" or "how to add a fade in". Ain't nobody got time for all that!

So it's the details I'm trying to get.

It's been working, but I've encountered glitches that concern me. They may be user error, but since the forum is of no use in answering the question, I may not spend the money.

stevel

I'm pretty much of a newbie to Reaper but I needed that function, also. You can set up a MIDI port to send MTC in the Preferences page for Midi Devices.
Hmm, I'll have to try this.

Supposedly, my synth in DAW mode should be able to control the Tempo in Reaper, but it doesn't send out CC values so it must be clock info. But I haven't figured that out yet either. Though I'm not sure I want to run the synth in DAW mode anyway. I actually have another controller that would be better for that. Just a lot of extra setup. Trying to keep things basic so I don't get bogged down in controlling everything.

The audio click is really OK. It's not a big deal. Most programs I use have it though, so seems like a weird omission given how many other areas they covered.

JCM 800

Reaper does it all!
Not quite. While Reaper has a ton of features, there are some things they are missing. Pre Fader Metering is a major one. It's mind boggling to me to not have that. I don't get it. It's the only thing that keeps me from fully moving to Reaper. There are other things missing but nothing that I need.

Fran Guidry

I've posted on the Reaper forum (probably the exact same thing, which is why I forgot I posted it here) too, but it doesn't even seem very active to me.
Did you get your issue with MIDI and video worked out? You seem to have abandoned your question thread over at the REAPER forum.

It's odd that you don't find the REAPER forum to be very active, I see three pages of new comments every day.

I'm figuring a lot of it out on my own, but it's got a trillion functions and a trillion pages to the manual and a trillion videos that are a trillion hours long.
Are you suggesting that REAPER has more functionality than other programs you've used? Would you prefer that the manual not cover the functions? I'm not sure how this string of complaints might be answered. How have you learned any DAW except by figuring it out on your own?

Fran

valcotone

Gold Supporting Member
Not quite. While Reaper has a ton of features, there are some things they are missing. Pre Fader Metering is a major one. It's mind boggling to me to not have that. I don't get it. It's the only thing that keeps me from fully moving to Reaper. There are other things missing but nothing that I need.
I often use FreeG to get good metering at any stage, and adjust gain levels as needed. Would that work for you?

https://www.sonalksis.com/freeg.html

JCM 800

I often use FreeG to get good metering at any stage, and adjust gain levels as needed. Would that work for you?

https://www.sonalksis.com/freeg.html

Nope. I have Free G and it is great plug but that doesn't help. I want the meter right next to the fader where it belongs not another plugin that I have to open. It is completely stupid that isn't an option. I won't/can't mix without pre fader metering.

Reaper has a million features and detailed things but they missed a basic function.

+NRG

Nope. I have Free G and it is great plug but that doesn't help. I want the meter right next to the fader where it belongs not another plugin that I have to open. It is completely stupid that isn't an option. I won't/can't mix without pre fader metering.

Reaper has a million features and detailed things but they missed a basic function.
They must have finally heard you! Go over to the REAPER pre forum and check out the change log for the current release candidate B) Lots of cool new additions coming very soon...

I own Reaper and Sonar and prefer Reaper. To me its more user friendly and displays better at a lower resolution which I prefer. I use Sonar for sharing projects.

JCM 800

They must have finally heard you! Go over to the REAPER pre forum and check out the change log for the current release candidate B) Lots of cool new additions coming very soon...
Well well well... Hot damn! Thanks for the heads up! I'm off to check it out. :)

MrTAteMyBalls

Reaper is a fully professional software. You should have no concerns flopping down 60 bucks for it. Whether it will do what you needed to do in a way that you enjoy using is really a question that only you can answer. That's what the free trial is for.

Personally I prefer it over several other DAW that I have used including Cubase, Sonar, and Pro Tools. But realistically I could make a record on any of those.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom