rear tremelo cover recess

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by deathrider817, Apr 26, 2016.

1. deathrider817

deathrider817 Member

I have a nice alder guitar body that when the tremelo cover is put on its about 1/8"-3/16" tall off the guitar body..I know lots of guitars come like that but this one really bothers me..I am thinking about getting a Rotozip saw/router and routing into the cavity to make the cover flush with the body. I think using a straight edge clamped onto the body will act like a table saw ripping fence so I cut nice and straight. .anyone here done this or similar work ? I have already recessed the back of guitar body neck heel so I don't need a neck plate. .any you info appreciated.

2. deathrider817

deathrider817 Member

Also I have been looking for the threaded inserts for electronics cover and tremelo cover. .Framus has used these, supposedly prevents stripping out of the wood screws. Anyone here know about these and where to get them ?

3. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

If the cavity is a good smooth finish on the sides, just use a small laminate router with the bearing riding in the cavity to cut the recess, trying to use a straight edge is likely going to be problematic. Or you could make a router template, but how to hold it in place...?
    Threaded inserts are avail at the hardware store, but not sure you can get them down at #4 size or not. I like the little brass ones.