Rearrange my pedals

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Scott Auld, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Scott Auld

Scott Auld Staff Member

I am going to be buying a Looper and am currently in the design phase.

I want to know ahead of time where I will lay my pedals in the chain, i.e., will I combine a few in one loop so they go on simultaneously, etc.

But for now, I just am trying to get a handle on the best order / signal chain, since I tend to stack pedals as songs get progressively more intense.

Everything will go into a AC30 Custom Classic.

So... here is what you have to work with, and I would like you to put them in order the way you would line them up:
    • Dunlop Hendrix wah
    • Ibanez TS9DX
    • Line6 Echo Park
    • Boss BD2 Blues Driver
    • Visual Sound Route 66 Compressor & Overdrive
    • Boss DS1 Distortion
    • Ibanez Autowah AW7 (this is a tone sucker, I never put it in the chain, but if I had a looper, it would be isolated from the path and I might use it once in a while. Maybe. I kinda hate this pedal.)
    I think that's it.

How would you line them up?

S

2. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

Wah
    AW7
    R66 (set to boost and comp)
    TS9DX
    BD2
    DS1
    EP

3. Scott Auld

Scott Auld Staff Member

Hi Josh :)

You are always very helpful in these threads :)

S

4. Guitar Josh

Thank you! :dude But keep in mind, I just gave you the standard.

What you should do is start playing with some of the order. For example, you might like how your TS9 stacks running INTO your BD-2. But you might like it even better BEHIND your BD-2 and further slamming your amp's front end.

Same thing with the DS-1, BTW.

As for the comp, the question is whether you are using it as an overall tone shaper or a booster/eq. For EITHER use, you may prefer it above or behind your drive pedals.

What I might do is try out a few different combinations with a notebook and write down your impressions. At the end of the day, you may like the standard. But you may also find some new tones by experimenting.

Good luck and report back!!

5. Scott Auld

Scott Auld Staff Member

Thanks Josh

I will be brutally honest -- sometimes I hear no difference when I move things around. People tell me there is a difference but my ears don't hear it.
    But I'll keep on trying. :)

6. Guitar Josh

Well remember, you shouldn't just put your TS9 behind your DS-1 and without changing the settings expect to hear too much different. The most noticeable difference will be volume and gain (maybe not with a DS-1). But tweak the tone knob brighter or darker, see what happens.