reason adapted drum tracks

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by wsaraceni, Feb 9, 2006.

1. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

i want to try to make some drum tracks in reason adapted. i am using pro tools le and can hook up the drum machine to the midi track and aux track as specified. the question is, how do I set it up so that when i use the pencil to draw a C, i get a bass drum. and when i hit D it's a snare or whatever?

2. Stevo57

Stevo57 Supporting Member

Does Reason adapted have the Redrum module? That ones pretty easy to use. Otherwise I think you have to use the DR Rex sample player to map the samples to the keys. There are lots of patches where this is already set up for you too. I have Reason 3.0 though so I'm not sure how "adapted" your version is.

3. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

yes. using redrum. just don't know how to map the sample to the key. im not sure what i am missing but it just doesnt seem to be working at all

4. Stevo57

Stevo57 Supporting Member

Make sure your control device is configured in preferences. If it's correct you will see your device with a green check in the box, if it's red you have a problem.
    When you open a new session in Reason, always make the mixer your first device, and then each successive device will be auto mapped to the mixer.
    If you have done all these and still don't here anything, hit tab and check the back side connections. Try connecting inputs and outputs by clicking and dragging from the hardware interface and the device this way and see if it helps.

5. d7music

d7music Member

As I recall, Redrum responds to a specific octave for the 8 instruments to play and different octaves to "mute". This allows you to play pre-programmed patterns and then modify them on the fly. Try a different "C". ;-)