Reason and Cubase SX3

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by lchyi, Feb 8, 2008.

1. lchyi

lchyi Member

So after finally completing my little home studio setup, I tried to get some recordings down yesterday that I really wanted to put down some pad sounds to a thing I was laying down in Cubase. Even though I usually figure things out pretty quick, I could not figure out how I can make Reason's virtual instruments interact with Cubase for recording. I read around some where saying how ReWire is built into Reason and that patches sounds into Cubase but every instruction set I Googled never gave specific instructions on how to setup Reason with Cubase.

Any suggestions on where to read or what to do?

2. Wolf Static

Wolf Static Member

Piece of cake.

1. Boot up your computer making sure that Cubase and Reason are NOT running.

2. Open Cubase SX3 and create a new project.

3. Open Reason

4. In Reason, look at the "Audio Out" panel on the "Hardware Interface" at the top of the rack. The 'Rewire' LED should be lit, with "ReWire Slave Mode" written in the little green display right below it.

(*** NOTE: If it doesn't show this, then you have a bad installation, or other software problem that requires a fresh install of the aforementioned sofware packages ***).

5. In Reason, add a Maelstrom device, with a sound loaded.

6. In Cubase, go to the 'Devices' Menu and Select 'Reason'. The ReWire connections window will appear.

5. Click the topmost power button to activate Rewire channels 1+2 (L+R), which Reason is virtually wired into.

6. In the Arrange Window of Cubase, add a MIDI Track.

7. In the Track Properties for that MIDI Track, locate the drop downs for the 'in' and 'out'. They should be set to your Audio Card. Select 'Reason Maelstrom 1' for both the In and Out.

8. Open the Grid Editor (Piano Roll) for that newly created MIDI Track (which you've assigned to Reason's Maelstrom).

9. You now have total control over Reason's Maelstrom within Cubase SX!

AND THERE YOU HAVE IT!
    Peace

3. lchyi

lchyi Member

Genius!

Wow, thank you so very much I can't tell you how thankful I am. I love TGP and it's members :D

Though for some reason I couldn't get the midi to record on Cubase so what I did was I put the input Maelstrom and then the output as my FW MIDI interface. Does that sound right?

4. Wolf Static

Wolf Static Member

You're welcome! :)

Let me know how it works out!
    Peace

5. Wolf Static

Wolf Static Member

Hook up your MIDI Interface into Reason and that should propagate to Cubase via ReWire, if your Ins and Outs are all set up correctly.

6. Jamar

Jamar Supporting Member

this doesn't work with LE unfortunately from what I can tell. boy that would be handy if it did. if anybody can prove me otherwise please help. im on a macbook...

7. Wolf Static

Wolf Static Member

I only have the full-blown version of Cubase SX, so I cannot advise you on LE. It does make sense that they'd leave out critical functionality such as ReWire in the 'Light Edition' of Cubase.

If you're interested, I'm selling the full blown version of Cubase SX 3 with all the manuals and the Hardware Key...

8. p-pickers

p-pickers Supporting Member

Hey Wolf...I just picked up Cubase SX3 and struggling to learn it. It's my first introduction to using a DAW. Why are you letting yours go? Will this program become clearer the more I use it?

9. iaresee

iaresee Member

I can't recommend Cubase SX3 Power! enough. It made Cubase SX 3 so unbelievably comfortable for me it's become the extension of my creative process that it should be...not the overwhelming wall of options and knobs that it was before. I love this book. Awesome book.

10. p-pickers

Thanks, Jaresee. I'll have a copy by the end of the week.

11. Wolf Static

Wolf Static Member

Hey P-Pickers!

Sorry it took me a while to get back to you! There is definitely a learning curve with Cubase SX3 if you've not used it before. I know my way around it pretty well because I've been using Cubase for years now. Upgrading from VST to SX was a Godsend as Steinberg really did a good job there.

I suggest you really take the time to go over the main features of Cubase and keep using it - that's the best way to find your way around. Also it helps to have someone in the 'know' to hit up once in a while to learn some neat tricks.

Now, the bummer is that Steinberg will no longer support users of SX3! That's right... no more bug fixes and most importantly - no support for Mac OSX Leopard! The only way you can get full support is if you upgrade to Cubase 4, which means I'd have to spend a considerable amount of money for features I don't need!

Cubase SX3, while working perfectly well with my old Mac G4 Powerbook and my Windows XP Workstation is really struggling with my iMac 24, running Leopard. My only choice after that was to either do the Cubase 4 upgrade - or switch DAWs to one, which works seamlessly with Mac OSX. Well, after seeing how Steinberg pulled this little surprise - I thought a new DAW was in order.

It just so happened, that Apple drastically reduced the price of their flagship audio production suite, Logic Studio to $499 with so many useful features. To cut a long story short - these are all factors why I've made the switch.

Cubase SX3 Power! Sounds like a great resource from what I'm reading, so go for it... My album is being recorded on Cubase, as that's what my engineer uses - (in fact, one of the reasons I went with this engineer is because of that). Anyway, feel free to hit me up if you have any questions!

Cheers

12. p-pickers

Thanks Wolf...I'm kind of in "information overload" right now.
    I'm happy with the basic tracks I've done, but there's still some editing to do. Seems like way more system than I'll ever need with some amazing features.
    I may take you up on some questions down the road.
    Good luck with your new project.

13. Wolf Static

Wolf Static Member