Reason SM25... ...speechless!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Bucktone, Dec 25, 2009.

1. Bucktone

Bucktone Member

This is my first post so I feel some sort of introduction is in line. My name is Caleb Buck, I play guitar/bass/piano/drums, I live in SW Missouri with my wife and two French Bulldogs.

Now to the point.

I picked up my Reason SM25 combo (along with an empty headshell) on Monday. I'd figured I'd give myself a few days to spend with it before I posted anything on here.

For anyone that is unfamiliar with Reason amps here's a link to their site:
    http://www.reasonamps.com/

These amps feature two very different channels, the Bright channel, and the Normal channel.

The bright channel contains a volume and a tone knob with a "thick" pull switch on the volume knob. The tone leans more towards to Vox-ish side of things. The cleans are chimey and gorgeous. Once the volume gets past 9 o'clock it can really start to get dirty. The tone knob really helps to control how much hair you want on your breakup. Midrangy and raunchy comes to mind.

The normal channel features a volume, treble, middle, bass, and a "bright" pull switch on the volume. The tone on this channel leans more towards the Fender-ish side of things. Below 9 o'clock the cleans are warm and full. pulling the bright switch really makes my Les Paul sound glassy. Once you get past that the breakup really begins. Vintage tweed tones are a cinch to dial in. My favorite of the individual channels for sure!

Next you have "Stack Mode". This is where the amp really gets interesting. Stackmode uses both channels in series ( I believe the Bright Channel is first) which then goes into an additional gain stage followed by added Cut and Master Volume knobs (only used in Stack mode).

Marshall-esque tones are easily achieved on this channel along with about a million other tones that I had no idea existed. Don’t think this channel is only for high-gain. You can dial in everything from super clean to uber heavy tones. Trial and error was my method with this amp until Obeid (the designer) told me this:
    Think of the Bright channel as an overdrive pedal
    And the Normal channel as the amp being driven.

I find this the easiest way to decide how to dial in my tone.

It is pretty cool how interactive the controls are in Stackmode. If you were to take the volume on the Bright channel down a notch and the Normal channel up a notch the amp can take on a totally different feel, almost as if you are now playing a different amp.

I find that I like to have both channels somewhere between the 9 and 3 o’clock range. After that I adjust the tone knob on the Bright channel to control how much hair the gain has and I use the tonestack on the normal channel to control the overall eq. My 2 cents.

This amp is truly like having about a dozen different ones. A true joy to play.

Anthony and Obeid are two super nice and down to earth dudes and the expertise they share is quite impressive. It has been a pleasure and an honor to become a member of the Reason family.

Many thanks to Obeid and Anthony!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  2. Bucktone

Bucktone Member

anyone else own one of these or another SM series amp?

3. Reason

Reason Member

Caleb! Thanks for the tone report and the kind words.

Hope you don't mind, but ya'll check out the first track of Calebs new band: http://www.myspace.com/foxtrotmp

Killer rock-n-roll!

Peace and good tone,

4. Bucktone

Bucktone Member

Thanks for the love anthony!
    More tunes to come soon!
    as well as some thorough sm25 video demos

5. Reason

Reason Member

Right on!

6. Jujo

Jujo Supporting Member

I have an SM50. I bought the amp after two full days of amp demoing. I tried about 15 boutique amps over the two days and I decided on the Reason. The Reason was right for me because it can do very good clean tones similar to BF and it does the Marshall tones very well too. Its one of those amps that does a very good job of Fender and Marshall tones. The SM50 offers the headroom needed to play motown at gig volumes, and play heavy metal at bedroom volumes due to the stack mode. WOW!!

7. Bucktone

Bucktone Member

You can get some righteous cleans on stack mode as well if you keep the master up and keep the channel volumes low

8. CSchlegel

CSchlegel Member

That's a fact! Works well on the Bambino, too. Congrats on choosing a Reason, Caleb. Can't wait to hear see/hear your SM25 demos.

9. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

Cool tune! Did you use the Reason on this recording?

10. Reason

Reason Member

I can answer this for him. No. That pre-dates delivery of his amp. I think that was done on an AC15.

Tasty song craft, eh? I like rock that isn't tooooo thought out.

11. Travst

Travst Supporting Member

I own a Bambino. Most fun amp ever, and definitely not a one-trick pony. I don't have one tone, and this amp covers a lot of ground for me.

12. Bucktone

Bucktone Member

That was actually a hot rod deville and a strat, recorded a long time ago

13. Jujo

Jujo Supporting Member

14. jiml

jiml Supporting Member

Hmmmmm.....

Can you footswitch between all three modes (mormal, bright and stack)?

15. Travst

Travst Supporting Member

Good question. Anthony let me know a couple of weeks back that there will be Reason branded footswitches available shortly. Maybe he'll jump back in this conversation.

16. OKhan

OKhan Member

Reason footswitches are now available! $30. Anthony can you post up a pic?

17. jiml

jiml Supporting Member

How does it work, all three or between two modes?

18. OKhan

OKhan Member

One button for normal/bright and one button for stack on/off. Nice gold plate like the big amps and graphics so you can see and LED's too.

Anthony will post a pic soon I'm sure.

19. Travst

Travst Supporting Member

Obeid... are they direct from you, or from dealers? I don't see any at Guitar Adoptions.

20. OKhan

OKhan Member

We just got them in so they will be going to dealers soon. Not sure if Guitar Adoptions has any on order. If you need one right away, send Anthony a note.