1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Reason Speaker Cabinets

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by G'OlPeachPhan, Jul 17, 2006.

1. G'OlPeachPhan

G'OlPeachPhan Member

I did a search, but could not find anything about these cabinets here. Who owns one? Any reviews and pics you guys are willing to post would be great. Thank you!

2. G'OlPeachPhan

G'OlPeachPhan Member

Nobody owns one? Well, then I guess I'm going to be Anthony's first customer from TGP. ;)

3. mrmojorisin

mrmojorisin Member

I have two of them Peach. I am 100% satisfied with each of them. One is a 2x12 ext cab to match by Blockhead First Born 18, and the other is a white 2x12 combo cab which houses a 36W TMB chassis (18w x 2). Quality of construction is excellent, and tone is all I expected/wanted it to be.

Carl

4. G'OlPeachPhan

G'OlPeachPhan Member

Glad to hear you like them Carl! You wouldn't happen to have any pictures handy would you?

5. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

I've seen his head cabinets up close. DAMN fine work.

6. lastwinj

lastwinj Member

great product and anthony is a great guy.

7. G'OlPeachPhan

G'OlPeachPhan Member

big mike, just curious... does he build Nick Greer's head and speaker cabs? If that information is double top secret, then please just pretend I didn't ask. ;)

8. raz

raz Member

I'll second this...I haven't purchased a cabinet from him yet, but I have talked to him and exchanged e-mail with him, and I WILL buy a cab someday. He does really beautiful work and he is one heck of a standup, honest guy. A zero BS kind of guy.

9. G'OlPeachPhan

G'OlPeachPhan Member

Very cool... Thanks for all the info guys! This cab from Reason should be great then, and Anthony has indeed been superb to deal with.

10. G'OlPeachPhan

G'OlPeachPhan Member

A few weeks ago I ordered a new slant front 2x12 cab from reasonamps.com to match my Ghia, and it just showed up yesterday:

[​IMG]

The cab has a convertible back, and I loaded it up with a Scumback H75 and a Weber 30 watt ceramic light dope Blue Dog --
    [​IMG]

The cab is VERY well constructed. It's a new model that's not yet shown on Reason's website. I've completely fallen in love with slant front 2x12's since they give you most of the bass response of having a horizontal 2x12, but you also get most of the projection up towards your ears that you'd get if you had a vertically oriented 2x12. The convertible back is a great option for times when I find myself wanting a closed-back sound, but 99% of the time I'll be running it with the middle section removed, as I dig the more ambient, room-filling response...

The fact that Reason offered cosmetics that matched perfectly my '98 Ghia was a nice bonus... I really dig the 'hand-cut' tolex corners too - Anthony @ Reason does really nice work!

The Blue Dog isn't broken in yet so it sounds and feels a little stiff, but it sure sounds GREAT right out of the box... not like the Celestion Blues I've owned where they need about 20-30 hours of pounding to really start to sound good (but they DO sound great after that!). The Blue Dog is a perfect mix with the Scumback. It sounds similar to the Scumback H75/M75 (h30/greenback) mix in my Avatar slant front 2x12, but there's a little less speaker breakup with the Blue Dog (bigger magnet), and a bit more sparkle and chime from the Blue Dog versus a Greenback... it definitely works well for the Ghia's voicing. I also like the more solid and present lower midrange and bass response of the ceramic Blue Dog versus the Alnico Blue Dog... the ceramic also sounds a little more open and less-compressed when pushed, while also retaining a tighter low end. I'm hoping the Blue Dog will get better as it breaks in, but it sounds GREAT as-is!

In summary, Anthony @ Reason was great to work with, he builds fantastic cabs, the price was fair, and the wait time was short. What more can I ask for in this era of instant-gratificatiousness?! A+ ;)

11. stratovarius

stratovarius Supporting Member

Does your amp need to be able to support ReWire? :confused:

12. G'OlPeachPhan

G'OlPeachPhan Member

Nah, but this IS definitely a 'pro-tool.' ;)