Reasonable Mastering?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by loudboy, Aug 30, 2006.

1. loudboy

loudboy Member

I'm just finishing up a record w/a Brazilian guitarist/singer. Light pop/rock, w/lots of percussion and space in it, altho some tracks are quite dense. He doesn't want it crushed, just pulled together.

I'm looking for recommendations for anyone you guys may have used, for similar stuff.

He'd like to get this done for less than $700, if possible.

Thanks in advance,

Loudboy

2. melondaoust

melondaoust Member

May know some guys in Canada - PM me.

3. fyler

fyler Member

4. scottlr

scottlr Member

WOW! Those are reasonable prices! Thanks.

5. suprotennessee

suprotennessee Member

Paul Hammond and Paul Sinclair in Blue Bell PA. I produce a lot of records and I have them do all my mastering. As a pair they are pretty fierce. Paul H is a studio tech (of genius proportions) and Paul S works building Allessandro amps a few days a week, but his ears are golden. They have a very unique process and for now they work pretty inexpensively (i think $75/hour?). You can contact Paul H at Pauleh@aol.com. I recommend them highly!

6. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Conor Dowling (Bassomatic on TGP) was getting into some mastering work. Perhaps have a chat w/ him - awesome musician.
    David Torn (splatt) also does mastering work.
    Michael Lawrence (muddy) may, as well.
    I have no idea what these guys would charge.

7. sosomething

sosomething Member

+1 WOW.

I especially like how he does a free sample so you can get a feel for his approach. That's confidence in his product.

8. straticus

straticus Member

Yeah, those are great rates!

......... and perfect timing as we're looking for someone to master our CD.:)

9. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Chris, if the guy is willing not to be there in person (which I don't think is a great idea, but...), my friend Tommy Dorsey (yes, he's named after the bandleader) would be my first choice for real instruments in real spaces like you're describing. He's chief engineer at Masterfonics in Nashville and a wonderful guy to work with – he mastered my CD a few years ago and might be willing to work something out. Drop me an email if interested.

Closer to home, I'd give Sterling Sound in NYC a call. They offer reduced rates for non-label projects and given the calibre of work they do I think they'd at least be worth asking. Although I never worked with Greg I should have... he was my neighbor in NJ years ago, long before he was owner. His wife and mine would get together and kvetch.

Not to speak for splatt, but I'm pretty sure he said The Lodge also has non-label rates.

10. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

I've done some work with Jonas Berzanskis, who's mastered at least one grammy winner, probably more.

He's very reasonable, located in Ann Arbor, MI.

11. bigroy

bigroy Member

I used www.masterbymail.com for my son's emo/screamo/pop demo this summer. While I can't vouch for the material, I think they did a decent job of improving the mix, and and they will do an entire CD's worth of material for $99. I never once spoke to a human being, and I'm not sure how it compares to the others, but it made a big improvement in the sound of the CD.

12. fyrwyr

fyrwyr Member

www.tytabor.net

King's X guitarist/vocalist and mastering engineer, I have YET to hear a cd mastered by him that wasn't world class. Last I saw his prices were CRAZY cheap too!!! He is my choice for my own recordings if I ever get them mixed all the way...