Reasonable Repair Time...

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by rkellogs, May 28, 2015.

1. rkellogs

rkellogs Member

I dropped my hollowbody electric six weeks ago to have a new bridge installed, to have the edge of the fret board smoothed, and to just have a basic setup on the guitar. It's been six weeks, almost seven, and the repair is still not done. Am I dick to say that this is an unacceptable wait time for this repair?

2. G Man

G Man Member

Totally depends on who you brought it to. Some of the more popular techs who have people shipping them gear from all over are, understandably, going to take longer than some random dude on CL. I have found you do not want to rush a good luthier, at least if you want the job done right.

3. rkellogs

rkellogs Member

It's a local shop in a small college town...

4. ELmiguel

ELmiguel Member

It depends on what you were told when you dropped it off.

guitarpedaladdict likes this.
  5. ChazMania

ChazMania Silver Supporting Member

Yeah I would say it depends on the turn around time you were quoted when dropping it off to discuss the repair. I recently took an acoustic in for a set up, guy told me he was really busy and it might be 2-3 weeks, I said that is fine, he called me a week later saying it was done, and he did an excellent job!

6. rkellogs

rkellogs Member

I wasn't given any ETA when I dropped it off. The tech wasn't there at the shop the day I dropped it off. After three weeks, I emailed to check in and to make sure he got all the notes. I was told it would be done the following week. Its now been three weeks since that.

7. diego

diego Member

Sometimes a good approach is to be the polite but squeaky wheel.

8. winterblu

winterblu Supporting Member

That amount of time is excessive. The shop I go to is very busy as it's the best in this area, depending on how busy they are you could expect completion
    in as little as 3 days or as long as two to three weeks.

9. ELmiguel

ELmiguel Member

What I would do would be call them. Ask them if it has been started on or not. If not, I'd go pick it up and take it somewhere else.
    That's what I would do.
    If all you've done is sent them one email, they probably are assuming you're not in a hurry for it.

10. whitepapagold

whitepapagold Member

Go get your guitar back today.

Yes that's too long without being WARNED it would take that long...

And with that crap service it will probably only get worse...

11. Balance

Balance Member

I agree with everyone that it's too long. If you have an alternative, use it.

12. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Communication.

What did they say when you dropped it off, and what did they say when you called them once the deadline had passed?

Might be very good reasons, break in at the shop, death among the staff, alien abduction, etc. Never know until you ask.

13. Ed56m

Ed56m Supporting Member

Depends on the relationship you have with your tech. But six weeks in unacceptable. Example I deal with one of the top techs in Florida he lives 100 miles from me. Fortunately I travel for a living and I'm in his town every other week. I called him on Tuesday asked if I cold stop by on Wednesday. I arrived at 10 am ask him to set up my strat. He filed the frets adjusted intonation adjusted pickup heights and cleaned up the guitar he had it ready the same day by 4pm. He's very in demand and always busy but I've developed a relationship and he takes good care of his repeat customers. Thats great customer service.

14. serial

serial Member

I always expect to double time estimates for the best repair guys I use because they're usually very busy.

15. reentune

reentune Supporting Member

If you're in NYC (and not that small college town), take everything to Evan Gluck at NewYorkGuitarRepair.com.
    Great work, great rates.
    Oz Noy and Wayne Krantz among other use or have used him.
    Great, great guy and a member here.

16. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Wow... I've got a guitar tech that will do a job like that in, oh, 6 months or so. Unless I've got a gig and then it might be 2 weeks. It just depends on how fast he works and how much other stuff he's got going. The quality of work over the years has been great, so I keep going back (plus the only other alternative less than 2 hours away is even worse for slow). I'd go back to the shop and talk to them about it when the tech is there, gauge how likely things are to get done in a fairly timely manner from here and decide what you want to do.

17. edwarddavis

edwarddavis Supporting Member

I am amazed that there is this much guitar work, , you would think there would be more guys fixing guitars.

18. kralltime

kralltime Gold Supporting Member

Too long.
    I like the way the two techs I work with handle things… first is an independent guy - he works on the "drop it off Friday, pick it up next Friday" theory…
    The other place is a bigger establishment, they work out of a book of due dates… so, they quote you the next available completion date and based on the work, tell you when you need to drop it off. I hate the "just drop it off and hope" approach.