• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Reasonably low cost headphones?

LouV

I need some ideas for reasonable low cost flat response headphones so I can know what patches on my mac really sound like. What do you like?

nicolasrivera

Platinum Supporting Member
I need some ideas for reasonable low cost flat response headphones so I can know what patches on my mac really sound like. What do you like?
Low Cost will get you Low Flat Response sounds.

Invest in good cans, do it for your ears.

ShaunOsovs

Also be careful not to buy anything too nice unless you have the means to properly amplify them. For example, Sennheiser HD600 and up require a proper amp to power them, or else sound would be worse than cheap headphones. I have HiFi Man 400i cans and I run them through a USB DAC/Amp to monitor my sounds. If I plug straight into Kemper or Line 6 Helix, it is too buzzy and thin.

If you are just tweaking tones, I'd recommend the Audio Technica ATH-M50x.... its almost a cliche how recommended these headphones are. Beyerdynamic DT770's are good too.

LouV

Also be careful not to buy anything too nice unless you have the means to properly amplify them. For example, Sennheiser HD600 and up require a proper amp to power them, or else sound would be worse than cheap headphones. I have HiFi Man 400i cans and I run them through a USB DAC/Amp to monitor my sounds. If I plug straight into Kemper or Line 6 Helix, it is too buzzy and thin.

If you are just tweaking tones, I'd recommend the Audio Technica ATH-M50x.... its almost a cliche how recommended these headphones are. Beyerdynamic DT770's are good too.
Great suggestion I didn't think of that. Thank you

LaceSensor1

Sennheiser HD428

Not sure if you can still get this model. Works great with my Boss GT10, and I use them as my studio headphones.

Jarick

Silver Supporting Member
Big +1 for the Superlux HD661B. They are on Amazon Prime for $38. I've had a pair for four years or so and love them. I don't know how flat the response is but they are very clear with plenty of information all over the spectrum. I prefer the semi open design to closed for listening and the odd mixing or what not. They are less hyped in the low and high end than the Sonys to my ears. Lots of great reviews by headphone snobs...er...enthusiasts. I would guess they compete with anything else under 100-150.

Lele

Most of the above suggestions are perfect!
A nice headphone will be ok and very useful when you can’t make any noise. Anyway headphones will not help you to make a proper mixing of your tracks and to tweak a good guitar tone if you then play live or in the rehearsal room. There are many good headphones like: Audio Technica ATH M50X, Sony MDR 7506, Sennheiser HD 280, Rokit KRK KNS 8400, but even cheaper models could be nice enough in the beginning. A good headphones will be a good product (!), anyway our ear shapes are different so it means that everybody could hear different loudness of frequencies and have a different (respectable) opinion of each model.

redmonda

Just to add some more confusion. Sennheiser HD280. They are VERY flat and will sound different from what you are used to (many prefer the ATH-M50x since it hypes the bass and trebble a bit and sounds more like you'd expect), but are popular for mixing due to how neutral they sound.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom