Reasons bands break up?

Eskimo_Joe

Rocker, roller, way out of controller
Silver Supporting Member
And what can be done to prevent it?

What's your experience been?

Bluzeboy

It's always some drama brought on by someone being stupid.. You can't prevent it it's human nature.

Average Joe

Either proper creative differences or e´gos. In the former case, the band should break up, if people want different things - that's sensible. More often it's about egos and not every member being able to set the needs of the band and the music before their individual needs. Or because personalities doesn't match

kingsxman

Gold Supporting Member
People not being on the same page.

One person taking it more seriously than another. Getting fed up when that other person comes to rehearsal without learning their part, again.
This. Different levels of commitment. Not being on the same page as far how often you play, the style of music you play, etc.

2HBStrat

People not being on the same page.

One person taking it more seriously than another. Getting fed up when that other person comes to rehearsal without learning their part, again.
creative differences
This. Different levels of commitment. Not being on the same page as far how often you play, the style of music you play, etc.
To me these things are typical of things that should be discussed and decided upon BEFORE a band becomes a band, but usually are not. What breaks up a good band that is on the same page with THOSE kinds of things is lack of gigs, which often leads to one or more of the members getting gigs with working bands.

Noah

Gold Supporting Member
I haven't ever had problems with musical differences, but different levels of commitment is huge if you aren't prepared for it. It can be frustrating, but usually it's one guy doing everything anyway.

Often it's girlfriend/family/wife related.

Another one I've dealt with is once you get popular your area/scene, everybody in the band wants start their own bands.

defcrew

All pretty good answers and then throw the caveat of irrational behavior brought on by "substance abuse" that seems prevalent. As to talking before hand about it, my experience has been that A) bands sort of fall together rather than wind up being started and B) it really doesn't matter a whole lot what people say because it is often only tangentially related to what they do. I have long involved theories as to why keeping a group of musicians together is harder than keeping a softball team together but they are not completely dissimilar. There is also a weird thing where the more successful you are the harder it is to stay together. Seems counter intuitive but it has been my experience as often as not.

Motterpaul

Tone is in the Ears
When I lived in LA I saw more baqnds break up just when things started happening for them. Sometime success leads to a breakup, either because of creative differences, levels of ciommitment, fear of commitment, or other members thinking one person isn't cutting it and wanting them out.

DGTCrazy

Mod Squad
Staff member
1) Drugs & Alcohol
2) Ego
3) Going solo
4) Creative differences
5) Going nowhere

TopDog

"jumping the valence"
Gold Supporting Member
Because they can....

What can be done to prevent it...???

Must be treated as a job, if you're paid for rehearsals and performances a band will most likely stay together. That's why I'd rather pays guys to back me, they show up, don't complain, learn their parts and are top shelf players.

tiktok

Silver Supporting Member
1. An argument(s) probably fueled by drugs or alcohol. I've never seen a fight break out at a rehearsal where there wasn't substance use of some sort.
2. Dissatisfaction with the momentum of the band, often coupled with a more attractive alternative, i.e. another band.
3. Life changes--having kids, new job with longer commute/hours, etc.

germs

1. new/better job that leads to less "financial dependence" on making it.

2. outside pressures from wife/family/SO.

3. fear of commitment and/or failure.

4. solo/vanity projects

5. genuine creative differences i.e. wanting to go in another direction.

6. sometimes you just can't stand to be around each other!

the one that's hardest to swallow for me is #2. whenever i see a new member or start a project, that's my first explanation. i'll be involved in music in some form for the rest of my life. if i can juggle family, marriage, work, AND a band - then i expect no less from anyone else. if you don't think you can meet your current commitments and the new ones with the band (rehearsals, song learning, etc) then please...don't waste my time or yours. you're either the kind of person who can, or you cannot.

that sounds harsh, but i'm out here working. yes, it's fun - but i'm supplementing income here. there is a serious/business side to it too. i understand if you can't do it...just don't waste my time and lie to me.

EDIT: can you PREVENT it? no. we're all human. people grow and change as they age, that's why younger bands usually don't stay together more than a few years. once you get past that "everybody's best friends!" stage...it becomes more challenging. having a common and defined goal from the outset (local gigging, world domination, whatever) helps.

pickaguitar

2011 TGP Silver Medalist
Gold Supporting Member
musical differences...imo you grow apart

My last band the drummer went on to do a metal band, bassist went to a country band, singer did nothing and I was doing folk, blues, jazz stuff for a bit

maccampbells

People have a hard enough time staying together when they are married and having sex. Look at the divorce rate here. Not surprising that bands are the same way.

Trending Topics