Reasons Not to Get a Wah

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by dodelson, Oct 4, 2006.

1. dodelson

dodelson Member

2. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Supporting Member

uh.......

got nothin

3. jaymeister

jaymeister Member

you need one...the most expensive one you can find...now go--->

4. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

+1

jon

5. E-Rock

E-Rock Member

Cause you might be to damn FUNKY!
    Hit me!

6. dodelson

dodelson Member

Ha!

I guess my real question is for the guys who think they're more useful than just stepping on them when you have nothing else to do. It seems that with all the players with a wah out there, they have to be more than just a gimmick. Is there any way to use one subtly?

7. devbro

devbro Member

Hmmm...

They wreak havoc with germanium fuzz pedals
    The good ones are expensive
    They're big and take up allot of real estate
    They make an audible "click" when you engage them
    They can be noisy and are prone to pick up RF interference
    They're not much to look at (Clyde exempted)

I love 'em and want another :D

8. Tonefish

Tonefish Member

Do you have an ear infection?

9. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

+2

I definitely don't need (or want) one.

Bryan

10. kenoflife

kenoflife Supporting Member

It adds a human/baby voice thing - WAH!
    chicks love it?! (ymmv)

11. Em3m3

Em3m3 Member

A lot of Wah Wah pedals are one-trick ponies and most guitarist rarely use them as much as their other pedals IMO. :hiP

12. vbjamin

vbjamin Member

i wanna Budda, my old Dunlop has seen better days and is the last pedal on my board that is non TB, THE WRITING IS ON THE WALL. Still that old GCB95 held together with metal tape has been a great unit for 11 years.

13. strumminsix

strumminsix Supporting Member

+3

I've only found 1 maybe 2 uses for a wah. I've got one on my POD XT Live and can't remember the last time I engaged. It's probably been a year and a half and the last time was most likely cuz I was bored LOL!

If you talk about subtle we are speaking the same language. I've got an old MXR Phase 45 and it's just delicious! A very subtle filter with a nice taste of rotary. IIRC there is a custom/small company pedal manufacturer that makes one that is switchable between the P45 & P90.

I can see the site in my mind but can't find it now. He had all sorts of wild paint jobs on these puppies.

14. KeithC

KeithC Silver Supporting Member

Like any "effect" if it is used judiciously it remains an effect.
    I love my Clyde wah BTW.
    Of the about 60 tunes we have on our list I use the wah on 3 songs.
    Maybe that is because I am so old now that it hurts my back to use it!

15. TieDyedDevil

TieDyedDevil Member

Reason #1: You'll probably sound like every other guitarist who can't figure out why he needs a wah, but has one anyway.

16. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

It's like four-wheel-drive on trucks--you never need it or think about it but it's all the rage to have 4X4 written all over everything.
    Then when you get stuck needing it, there's like 5 minutes when you'd sell your soul to have it.
    Then you're out of the woods, and you forget all about it again!

17. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

Get an envelope filter, I have both and I use my filter more often. This may change next week but that's how it is now.

18. Nathan

Nathan Member

It all depends onthe music you play. If there's no chance of you being asked to play funk or to wail a Slash solo, don't bother. But it might happen that you're expected as a guitarist to have multiple sounds in your arsenal. I'm of the belief that eveyone should be able to play a little of everything, and so much good electric guitar has used wah that hey? Why not? If you're a metalhead or a pure coutry picker, ok fine. Nobody's forcing you. It's like those threads about "do I need a Klon?". Are feeling threatened by the wah-playing public? Is your sense of self shaky or is it the herd mentality? There you go, you don't need anything! To stop being a loser, I use mine slowly & subtly for harmonic spice when playing rhythm; little swells.

19. ruby7829

ruby7829 Supporting Member

I've bought and sold like 3 different wahs. The best being a Budda. I just always found doing the wakka wakka thing got really boring and tedious. Tha's just me I guess. The one thing I did absolutely love, however, was the half-cocked wah thing. Engage the wha, leave it in the center and it sounds amazing. I just could never justify keeping it for just that.

20. curtisstetka

curtisstetka Member

Wah can be used for subtle effects as well as in-your-face type stuff. Like any pedal / sound.

My band plays a song where one might normally use a bit of chorus. Instead I hit the wah and add a very slight warble to the sound.

We've got another pretty fast rockin' song that has a bridge of some kinda cliche power chords moving up by step E F# G A four times in a row.

The first two times I play the power chords but then I use the wah on single notes on the 6th string. It's probably on for a total of 12 seconds in the song but it's a cool effect for driving things forward and changing up what might otherwise get a bit dull and overdone.

And criminy, man! You're a guitar player! Every guitarist at some point yearns to play some wokka wokka wokka. Get a cheap-y Crybaby. Keep it in your closet. Drag it out once a month and play Voodoo Chile and make some noise. Put it away. Wipe the grin off your face. That's all there is to it. Why are you agonizing over this?