1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Reasons not to go for an EHX Worm XO?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by allanh91, May 19, 2011.

1. allanh91

allanh91 Member

Just seems like a pretty decent pedal for the price...

2. Pazz

Pazz Member

Ok so I'm reviving a six year old thread,....but at least I know how to search!!

I'm considering the EHX Worm. I've read that the new ones are quieter than the originals, that the Worm is not as warm as other "individual" effects and that all the effects are ok but not great.

Any other feedback?

I don't gig and I rarely use modulation. A Keely mod station is much better, but not for my bedroom needs. (Guitar wise)

Thanks!

3. LSMFT6

LSMFT6 We brake for nobody Supporting Member

My only complaint was a lack of headroom, but YMMV as I used it with an active bass

Pazz likes this.
  4. korgi

korgi Member

It’s one of my favourite phasers, I just like the sound of it as it’s a bit more subtle than most - the vibrato is good too, not the best but still very good. The trem is a bit weird, and the wah is good for synthy style noises.....it’s a funny pedal, its not really going to replace/beat any other single modulation pedals, but as an all in one, and if you just treat it as it’s own thing, it can be very useful/useable.

eriwebnerr and Pazz like this.
  5. Auditory Driving

Auditory Driving Member

Amazing and lovely pedal, lots of hiss unfortunately so it might be a problem when there s drive after it.

6. valvestate

valvestate Member

I love their big box EHX Worm! I hope I didn't sell it! big mistake that now EHX already discounted those.

I remembered liking the Filter and the Wah. I don't like the aesthetics of the XO WORM so I'd still hunt the big box.

7. meltedbuzzbox

meltedbuzzbox Member

Possibly one of the worst pedals I ever purchased.
    Very hissy, weak effects, not the most exciting.

Ymmv and all that jazz

8. leblee

leblee Supporting Member

I thought it was lovely but had a few things against it:
    - I like wah (and phaser) at the beginning of the chain but tremolo at the end, so hard to put it
    - it does color the tone, a lot, to the point where it affects the volume. I liked what it did as always on but it was hard to manage to just turn it on in a song
    - hiss
    - most important: it's a unique flavor of each of the effects and I preferred others. And I don't need secondary modulation, I never used it.

9. Pazz

Pazz Member

Thank you all for your input.

Since I rarely use modulation, I guess it's my decision if I want a multiple effects that are "meh" or one effect that is really good (Phase 95).

Thanks again.

10. Auditory Driving

Auditory Driving Member

Personally i love how it sounds, my only issue is the hiss.

eriwebnerr likes this.
  11. kimson

kimson Member

I had the XO a few years ago but decided to let it go, mostly because of the weird power requirements (24V center positive IIRC) and the fugly looks. I seem to recall one of the effects had a serious volume drop (or was it a hike?) as well.

Sound-wise I loved it, though. It had a very cool, distinctive tone - a bit like the DMM/MB treble boost I guess.

I don't know if the XO is the same circuit as the big box, but if I came across a big box Worm for a decent price, I'd grab it immediately.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
  12. MIM#1

MIM#1 Member

Looks like the OP got the Gear Page 'non-boutique' cold shoulder in 2011....

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017