• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Reasons you should NOT ship guitars with strap locks attached...

lifeson1

Silver Supporting Member
Just took possession of this Agile AS820 today an online deal. Even though it was packed very well in a hard shell case, the seller left locks on and created some nice impact damage to the body when it was probably set down too hard by UPS...

Pretty disappointed, just glad it wasn't a real 335. Waiting on seller to see what we can do. Have no idea if it's even worth repairing...

swiveltung

How is that impact any different than if it were a normal strap button? It seems like smacking either one hard enough would cause impact damage.
Yeah, they project a bit more but not much. My guess is that came in a real cheap case that didn't fit well...?

27sauce

Yeah, nothing to do with the strap lock. In fact, the stock button is much bigger!

lifeson1

Silver Supporting Member
I am willing to accept if I'm wrong, I've just never received a guitar in a hard case with the strap still attached and parts of the strap lock littering the case and then that button lock hanging at a weird angle.

Any easy fixes just to make it useable? And surprisingly, it does seem like real wood. Plays great, too. On that, I'm pleasantly surprised. I really don't need it to look perfect, I paid under 300 for it, just need a good patch up job.

GGinMP

Gold Supporting Member
Different story if the strap with the other side of lock was attached. Definitely not good.
Agreed! I thought it was just the post part as pictured. Bummer. I imagine it could be fixed, and I wouldn't worry too much about the finish since it's not a very visible area once the strap is on. Good luck.

onemoretime

I have always made it a habit to remove the strap pin from the end of any guitar I ship, case or no case.. If dropped, the strap button goes straight through the case padding to the shell of the case which can this type of damage.

Ugly Bunny

Yeah, with the Straplok and strap still attached, that sucker sticks out a LOT. Dang. Sorry about that. That's day-one stuff. Seems the seller should have known that...

Trebor Renkluaf

I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse?
Gold Supporting Member
How is that impact any different than if it were a normal strap button? It seems like smacking either one hard enough would cause impact damage.
This. That guitar took a big thump and the only thing that would have prevented that was not strap button at all.

Trebor Renkluaf

I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse?
Gold Supporting Member
The strap was on the guitar inside the case? :crazy
I'd be contacting the seller about a partial refund to cover the cost of repairs.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom