• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Rebel 20 - on par with bigger(named) amps?

Gasp100

Silver Supporting Member
I'm intrigued with the Rebel 20. I am looking to possibly trade down (price wise) from a larger/higher wattage 6v6 amp to something that can get nice cleans, but more importantly some edge of breakup, gritty into hairy OD at lower volumes as well. I read the info from Bruce about the 1-20 watt setting, seems like it just gives you more breakup sooner vs. effect the volume that much.
I already have three REALLY sweet amps. Like I said this would be trading down to bring in a little cash and get a cool looking head to push my Avatar with G12h's (without having to sell and ship that big Momma).
I guess I'm turning into a snob and I'm worried about being letdown a little. I don't really care where it's made, I know that Egnater is a top notch name in the biz.
What do you think? I don't really need a clean pedal platform at this point. I use pedals very sparingly so I need something that's versatile (clean to mean) at low volumes (I assume the MV works well?)
My other choices include: Dr. Z mini Z, Dr. Z Maz Junior, Goodsell super 7. Can this one hang?

farlowhigh

gasp100, I would avoid the mini-z head if I were you. I found it pretty buzzy and there is virtually no clean at all....I personally was very disappointed with it when I played one at Fat Sound recently. The Maz Jr is a great amp but very loud 18 watts and not all that much gain on tap and so I don't think it is an ideal fit for your needs...if you don't use pedals much and want to get hairy od at low volumes, I don't think the Maz Jr is your amp. nothing against Z amps and I liked the Maz Jr I had for a few years...I just struggled with its volume in a home setting and it clearly likes to be turned up to get to its great tones.

the Super 7 is a very cool little amp and it has great cleans...not all that much gain on tap on that one either and so not sure it will be versatile enough for what you are looking for.

The Egnator looks like a cool amp and obviously nicely priced. I like the clips I have heard and it seems to have plenty of gain on tap. I am guessing that you would like the Super 7 cleans better but would find the Egnator more versatile.

Eric

Gasp100

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks Eric, that helps. As you know I'm probably right behind you in searching (and buying) all the low(er) wattage amps for home studio playing. The difference is, you keep all of yours and I sell mine :bow
I think the Maz stuff is great on paper, but it would be overcommiting at this time which I don't want to do. As I said, I already have more than enough to keep me busy, but this damn kick ass cab is just sitting here staring at me. I'm going to give the Egnater a whirl.
I looks pretty versatile and possibly is what I need to get some OD sans pedals into the house at reasonable levels. So far, I've found a nice pedal + MV + light attenuation has provided best results at lower volumes. I've tried attenuator(s) only, MV's only, power scaling only, etc... I still think it's possible to get some nice, articulate grind at low volumes without a pedal (especially with a good MV and possibly light attenuation).
And hell, the Egnater is only a few bucks more than the Ultimate Attenuator.
I'll report back my findings.

Gasp100

Silver Supporting Member
Where is the clippage??? I figured there we be a ton out about now, but the only stuff I can find is old from Namm 08.

Gasp100

Silver Supporting Member
Found some...
:jo
:facepalm
These guys (amp manufacturers) should really spend just a little time/money and get some decent demo's on their site... some of these are just painful to listen to.

Trending Topics