Rebel 20 tone vs. Rebel 30 tone. Who wins?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by DreamTheaterRules, Dec 16, 2009.

1. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules Former Lyricist for Calhoun Tubbs Silver Supporting Member

I have a Rebel 20 and am very happy with it. I was thinking of trading up for the additional features. Two channels (a biggy!) built in verb, etc.

Has anyone compared them directly? If so, is the tone of the 30 better, same, or less good, than the 20? Just wondering if adding things to the circuit helped or hurt. Or if separating the clean and OD channels maybe actually improved one or both.

Thoughts?

2. earthlydescent

earthlydescent Senior Member

The clean channel on the Rebel 30 is amazing. The Overdrive is a bit more aggressive, but I dig it.

The Rebel 20 is more classic sounding to me, but drive-wise I'd say it wins.

3. DreamTheaterRules

In theory, having two channels would allow Bruce to dial in each a bit more. So I'm thinking it really could be better at clean and gain. He certainly knows how to get what he wants in his designs. Maybe he'll chime in here.

I was ALL about the Renegade, but I just don't need that much power. When this came out and was two channel, I immediately became interested.

4. Lt_Core

Lt_Core Supporting Member

Hi Howie, you can use one of your 439 overdrive/distortion pedals with the Rebel 20. That should get you there...haha!

Honestly, I've only played the Rebel 65 watt head and the Rebel 30. To my ears I liked the Rebel 30 better. The head seemed to sterile to me.

5. DreamTheaterRules

Hey, it's 441 now... well, that's IF those two you sent me ever get here! :rotflmao

You mean the Renegade... I really wanted one of those, but have NO use for that much power. To us bedroom wankers, more power just means more grief from the wife. :D

(True story: She came in last night and asked me to turn it down some. I was just checking the batteries in my Micro Cube!)

6. juh_sepp

juh_sepp Member

:rotflmao

Your wife and my wife must be long lost sisters. To make it more crazy, my wife is hearing impaired and wears hearing aids. I am never going to win.:dunno

7. KSKONDOR

KSKONDOR Member

I'm curious about this as well. The rebel 30 seems like a great concept and a quality peice of gear.

8. DreamTheaterRules

;) Are you kidding? You've hit the motherlode! Just take the batteries out when you are ready to jam. :crazyguy

9. DreamTheaterRules

10. 3 Mile Stone

3 Mile Stone Silver Supporting Member

I prefer the 30 head over the combo. The 20 did obtain maybe a little nicer, smoother, EG3 style gain, whereas the 30 is punching a little harder in the upper mid EQ range gain - wise. It's cuts. The 30 is so good I will be hauling it off to Grune Hall in Feb to warm up for Kenny Wayne Sheppard and leaving teh MOD 50 at home. I'm going in with a Tele, a 2X12 and a few pedals.

If Kenny is gonna chew me up with his Fuchs, I'm going down in STYLE!1!1!!! :D:D:D

11. DreamTheaterRules

Yeah, I'd want the head too. I have cabs covered and prefer head/cab setups so I can switch cabs, and switch combinations of cabs, for different tones.

As I mentioned, I'm happy with my Rebel 20. I just wondered if going to two channels allowed the tone to be improved on one or both.

I don't think I'll consider upgrading before I hear a Tweaker though :dude

3 Mile, don't go down without swinging. Bring the heat!

12. franksguitar

franksguitar Member

My wife wears hearing aids too!

13. 3 Mile Stone

3 Mile Stone Silver Supporting Member

:beer

He will know I was there that night. It's my town not his ... :D

14. DreamTheaterRules

15. headstash

headstash Member

I was between the 20 and the 30 and I went with the 30 combo. The gain channel was voiced a little more aggressive but when I turned down the gain, I was able to achieve just about anything that the 20 could. For my dollar, same great clean tones, impressive overdrive, two channels and very usable (and footswitchable)reverb made the 30 the obvious choice and well worth the price difference.

16. DreamTheaterRules

when you say "voice more aggressively" do you mean it has more gain, or that the gain is more crunchy (the Rebel 20's gain is on the smoother side)? Thanks for the input!

17. headstash

headstash Member

It's hard to discribe because with the versitility of both amps, a tweak here or there can change the tone pretty drastically. There is more gain on hand in the 30 for sure though. Maybe thats a result of the circuitry, maybe the extra 10 watts - IDK :dunno

If I duplicate the eq settings on the 20 and 30 and dime the gain (just for demo purposes), the 30 definitely has more scooped mids and can get closer to a metal distortion. Roll the gain back a bit and it can achieve the same tone as the 20 to my ears. There are a lot of opinions about the gain on a 20 vs 30 but when I played both I was able to match any 20 tone with the 30 with some tweaking.

Both are solid amps and the difference in tone is porbably not the reason to upgrade if you already have the 20. The additional features (two channel, reverb etc) should probably be the deciding factor. If the 20 does it for you, I wouldn't jump to the 30 just for the very subtle difference in tone.

18. DreamTheaterRules

Thank you very much for the info! Honestly, the two channels was the biggest single reason for my interest in a possible trade up. More agressive gain is certainly a plus too, as I play a lot of hard rock, metal and prog.

19. headstash

headstash Member

Nothing beats spending some QT with both amps to make your decision. Ears don't lie! I think the 30 is a tad more versitile and definitely has more gain on tap but it was the two channels for me that sold me on the 30. Both are great amps and for what you get, great value.

20. DonSimon76

DonSimon76 Member

I'm another one who is thinking of getting a Rebel 20 head but want to wait until the Tweaker comes out. I actually had a Rebel 20 but someone offered me a trade I couldn't pass up (a Gibson SG Classic for it). Now I am wanting a Rebel again.