Recapped my fist amp!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Ed Reed, Feb 2, 2008.

1. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

and it didn't blow up! :)

I got a full set of electrolytics from Luxe for my 55 Fender Tremolux. I wanted to be careful so I did some asking around and this is what I ended up doing. I built a discharging tool out of a piece of plastic tubing and put a 10 ohm 2 watt resistor on the end of it, attached to the resistor was a wire with an aligator clip I attached to the chassis. I touched each lead of each cap and then followed up with a dead short to ground with an insulated screwdriver. After I was 99% sure the caps were empty I used a set of insulated needle nose plyers to pull the leads loose as I heated them. Cleaned everything up and soldered the new caps in place. I used Kester 44 60/40 and got some pretty good looking joints. This may or may not be common to do but as I was reading about the whole procedure I learned of a current limiter device to use on power up to keep from blowing up the amp. It's an extention cord, you put a light blub (40 watt) in series on the hot side and when you power up if theres a problem the light bulb will go before the amp. I did this, switched the amp on a looked to see if the tubes were getting red, not really. The amp was very quiet, so I'm thinking it's not working. I plug in my guitar and it does work! It was just very quiet. I removed the current limiter and powered back up, sounded lots better with full power. It's currently setting ON for the next two hours to let the caps form.

I'm happy!

2. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

I noticed as I played over the last couple of hours the lows have gotten better. Man, this old amp sounds good. Made the same year I was too.

3. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Time Warped Gold Supporting Member

Good work! :D always nice to have a happy ending after changing parts on a amp!

Cured the noise too huh! nice!!

4. 2x6L6

2x6L6 Supporting Member

Nice! Isn't that fun? I do hope you went and got your EE degree first, however! (Sorry, being snotty about another current "work on my amp" thread.)

I love this stuff - with due care, some reading, asking good questions of patient experts, this stuff is really do-able and very gratifying. Well done!!!

5. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

I am considering going to Egnater's amp seminar.

6. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

I noticed one of the leads on the last cap was very oxidized, I assume this means it had been leaking? Anyway, the amp is sounding as good or better than it ever has as long as I've owned it anyway and now I'm not afraid to turn it on. Now to not blow that Jensen. I better check into a Weber to play out with.

7. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

Yes, cudos to Lyle Caldwell, he gave me some great info.

8. go7

go7 Member

Good on ya.

9. V846

V846 Member

Most likely yes, congrats on the successful recap..

db

10. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Nice job! Its a good feeling to be able to do some minor repairs yourself. Im not trying to belittle those with actual knowledge since its just parts replacing. Obviously theres a world of difference between parts replacing and actually understanding how something works and be able to troubleshoot it. I had an accident on my SS while biasing it and took out a couple of resistors. Did my first PCB desoldering/soldering and it felt good to be able to do it myself! Congrats. Bob