Reccomend an amp kit for cleans

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by fjam82, Jan 13, 2008.

1. fjam82

fjam82 Member

I was looking at an Allen old flame kit last month but didn't want to rush into this before looking at other kits available. Something strictly for cleans with reverb. 40 watts and up for that extra headroom. I really don't know of any other companies that make kits for cleaner type amps like this other than Allen.....

Right now I'm using a dr z maz jr for cleans which is really nice, but I need more headroom and want a head so I could get a cab specially for cleans.
    For a cab, what speakers would you reccomend for pure cleans?

2. fjam82

fjam82 Member

anybody????:jo:jo:jo:jo

:crazy:crazy
    :BEER

3. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

Weber sells a variety of blackface-type kits. You can get any config you want from a 12w 1x10 to an 80w 2x12 and anything in between, or just heads.

A friend put together a 40w 4x10 and it sounds, well, Super ;)

4. fjam82

fjam82 Member

Interesting..... I got mixed reviews on the webers... more negative than positive... but these were just opinions... I do not know enough about amp kits to judge based on parts/facts so if anybody can chime in it'd be a real help..

5. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

the biggest complaints i've heard are cheaping out on the little things like jacks, plates, etc. The iron, transformers, etc. are said to be very solid.

6. Wayne

Wayne Member

David Allen makes very fine kits. I don't think you can go wrong with his stuff.

7. twangbanger

twangbanger Supporting Member

+1 :AOK

8. bluenote04

bluenote04 Member

I bought an Allen Encore kit and couldn't be happier with the sound. it was a fun build, and I learned a little bit in the process.

I chose an Allen kit because of the full instructions and the layout pictures he sent with it. Basically I attempted to run every wire as close as possible to the way he did. In the end I have a wonderfully sounding amp with no issues. I may or may not have been able to say the same if all I had was a schematic and layout drawing, given my inexperience.

Allen sends top notch materials with his kits. Given the cost of Weber kits, I would be ok upgrading some components if need be.

As far as speakers go, I went with a head because I couldn't decide. I've played through 1x15, 2x12 and 2x10. I prefer the 2x12 so far, but that may be because the 1x15 was a speaker I didn't really prefer.

I may very well play through a 4x10 too at some point, and whichever sound I like best I'll stick with.

9. hasserl

hasserl Member

The biggest drawback to the Weber kits is the lack of detailed instructions for those that need them. For those that are comfortable working from a schematic and layout they are a great deal. Some items should be upgraded, mostly things like jacks, switches, jewel lamp, the small items. The transformers are fine, if not the best. But you could simply delete the trannies from the order to drop the price and pick up trannies from your favorite supplier if you prefer. The Weber 6A80 would be a great amp for cleans, use two California ceramic 12's (paper dust cover) for speakers and it'd be a great clean machine.

It would probably be more economical to just pick up an old silver face Twin Reverb and freshen it up with new caps and tubes. But then you wouldn't have the joy of assembling an amp yourself.

10. funkywrench

funkywrench Member

Bump for the "best speaker for cleans" question. I'm interested in this too

11. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

Cleans? That's a dirty word!

Best speaker for cleans? Look for something that handles a bunch of power and is efficient like a JBL or something.

12. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

A JTM45 kit is another great option for cleans. I think Metro has one.

13. fjam82

fjam82 Member

I actually just got their plexi kit, I'm looking for something closer to those big warm scooped fender cleans... do you think any kits can get you close to a TR emerald pro cleans?

14. Steve Dallas

Oh. I see. Well, Allen is a good option. He makes great products. Mojo has Fender kits, which can be tuned to sound better than stock. Or you might look at the D'Lite kit. It has some pretty great cleans with the option to hit some OD as well.

15. mlj_gear

mlj_gear Member

Personally I much prefer 12F150s for Blackface Fender cleans. The paper dome Calis are a bit sterile-sounding for my tastes, and the aluminum capped ones are too bright (again, for my tastes, anyway).

16. fjam82

fjam82 Member

Interesting, which of their kits would you reccomend for cleans and what kind of tweaks did you have in mind?

17. hasserl

hasserl Member

I like the 12F150's myself, but I'm not much of a "Cleans" guy. Seems I always like the amp at least on the edge of breakup, where I can control it with the guitar volume. The 12F150's have a bit of compression and breakup to them compared to the Cali's, which you might describe as sterile, but for that crisp clean Twin Reverb w/ JBL sound they are the way to go (unless you happen to have a couple of D120's around).

Be aware that there is a lot of anti-Weber critics on the net, most with an axe to grind. You'll have to filter a lot of the recommendations you get for agenda's.

Allen Amps and Mojo are fine choices with great products. I especially like David Allen, a great guy with top notch products. But for a clean platform, neither Allen nor Mojo make a kit that would beat a properly equipped Weber 6A80 (or a used silver face Twin Reverb). If you're wanting the amp to have some breakup when pushed, with a bit lower volume, then yeah, the Allen Old Flame or Mojo Super Reverb kit might be better choices. But if you want the better clean amp, go with the Weber.

18. Steve Dallas

Such things don't just beget themselves you know. Every effect has a cause.

19. fjam82

fjam82 Member

the mojotone kits are just as expensive as the allen kits, how do the 2 compare?

20. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

No agenda here. Love his speakers, transformers seem ok, I really didn't like the JTM45 kit I built though, for many reasons. I posted it around here somewhere.

The internet can magnify peoples experiences, but I would not do a marshall type kit from weber again. I might would do a Tweed, but I'd probably just go to Mission or Trinity.