Reccomend me a backup/beater...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Russ73, May 14, 2015.

1. Russ73

Russ73 Member

I need a backup/beater, have approx. 500 to spend, my only needs are a HB in the bridge, no floyds...
    I was looking into a mexi strat HSS and the LTD GL 256 but Im not in love with either...any suggestions would help..thx in advance geariacs!

2. gforce54

gforce54 Member

The PRS SE line is a great. I absolutely adore my SE 24 7 string. Most of them are a little over $500, but the SE Tremonti, SE 245 and the new SE Standard series are $500. They are my favorite guitars for that price point.

3. Beakertwang

Beakertwang Supporting Member

Used Reverend Charger, Sensei, or Double Agent.

4. detroiter711

detroiter711 Member

Prs Santana SE, PRS SE Standard 22

5. darkinners

darkinners Member

I'll second PRS SE, couldn't find a better guitar in this price range.

6. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

Are you only wanting a Strat-oid or are you open to other designs?

You said no Floyd but I'd guess either a standard trem or a hardtail would be OK?

Do you only want new or are used guitars OK?

The two friends of the cheap guitarist, Rondo and GFS, have several guitars that would be worth a look.

7. Russ73

Russ73 Member

yeah Im looking for a strat style, the SE line is great but I have a Mira and I will never touch the SE, a strat style bolt on I think I will get more use out of, maybe something I could even do some modding with would be cool as well, thx so far guys!

8. Davo17

Davo17 Member

Since you aren't into the SE, consider the Baja tele, the series tone is humbucker like.

9. Russ73

Russ73 Member

Im actually looking at one right now, browsing sweetwater and MF in my price range, but now Im thinking for a couple hundred bucks more I can get a used American guitar...ughhh....don't we all do this??

10. doc

doc Member

I'd look for a used 80s Peavey Patriot. They made a version with a single humbucker only in the bridge with a standard Strat style trem. Should be able to find one for $150, then put in better electronics and a better bridge (mine has a Gotoh). I have a total of $140 in mine, its a very nice guitar. The neck and body are excellent. Neck is thick but not huge.

11. zeffbeff

zeffbeff Member

For my money, the MIM HSS strat is THE only answer for a beater guitar. Get one used and it's even more of a no brainer.

I bought mine new in 2007 for $250. I finally retired it, but as a beater to leave at rehearsals etc, it was the best.