Reccomend me a Tele brand

dividedsky

I'm also looking for a Tele. After looking at (and playing) several varieties I'm liking the MIM Teles a lot, even more than some MIAs I've played. There are some ridiculous partscaster deals in the emporium here and on other boards but I'm reluctant to purchase a guitar that I haven't played.

Gas-man

Unrepentant Massaganist
I'm also looking for a Tele. After looking at (and playing) several varieties I'm liking the MIM Teles a lot, even more than some MIAs I've played. There are some ridiculous partscaster deals in the emporium here and on other boards but I'm reluctant to purchase a guitar that I haven't played.

I hear you on the partscasters.

I don't know if you are going to be happy with the MIM Tele though.

Vintage frets and tons of goop on the fretboard make them comparitively hard to play. They are also incrusted in a thick plastic shell.

Dave Wakely

Take a friend to a large store, and take a blindfold. G him to pass you all the 'Tele's one by one, and buy the one you like. Then take the blndfold off.

guitarfish

American Standard Teles are great guitars with quality components. They sell for $750-850 used on eBay.

G&L ASAT Tributes (imports) are higher quality than MIM Fenders, but I wouldn't put them up there with the MIAs. The MIA G&Ls are really nice.

gkoelling

Interesting.

He's about half what most of the other guys charge if he's selling for $800.

Just makes me wonder what corners are being cut in terms of materials or other. :dunno
Look closely, I don't think he's filling the grain on any of them, which saves a ton of time/labor. It isn't necessarily a bad thing, the finish just won't look or feel traditional/smooth.

Also look here http://logancustoms.blogspot.com/

It doesn't look like he's selling junk, I'm sure they're nice guitars and he's hitting a real nice price point. He isn't using boutique parts but he isn't selling crap either.

Actually, I think he's damn smart. There have to be more than a few people out there who want something different than off-the-rack but don't have two-to-three times what he's asking for a Tele. I hope he's busy, he should be.

I've been thinking of that price point for a while but don't have the facilities to paint. My kitchen and dining room are my workshop.

Whiskeyrebel

Supporting Member
Try to find a Peavey Reactor
2nd that, on a USA model with the two piece maple neck, and you'd have plenty left in your budget for any part swaps but you may find it to your liking as-is. More comfy neck than a real Fender, at least to my hands.

Last edited:
Also that is a very thin, non glossy, nitro finish. No grain filler, but thats okay with me, I think she's beautiful that way.
That explains the price quite succinctly. Different strokes and all that, but to me, no grain filler and satin finsh scream cheap. Takes about 1/3 the labor to "finish" a gtr that way. One of these days I'm going to have my eyeballs poked out so I quit giving a damn what gtrs look like. Till then I gotta have a tele body finished shiny and flat.

Jammin'John

That explains the price quite succinctly. Different strokes and all that, but to me, no grain filler and satin finsh scream cheap. Takes about 1/3 the labor to "finish" a gtr that way. One of these days I'm going to have my eyeballs poked out so I quit giving a damn what gtrs look like. Till then I gotta have a tele body finished shiny and flat.
They sound better than the "shiny" guitars.
The finish breathes.
They are player guitars.
I love 'em !

JJ