Reccomend me an affordable 12 string!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jrm, Jul 12, 2006.

1. jrm

jrm Member

Hello friends:

As our band continues to write more songs, I am seeing that having a 12 string electric around might be very helpful for some of our songs. I don't havea huge budget to work with, but I would value any reccomendations you could offer up! I love the Rickenbackers, but those are outta my league. Any advice on other makers to consider?

-jon-

2. BootRoots

BootRoots Member

Dano DC-12 or Hodad 12
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. zumaboy

zumaboy Member

I used to have a Schecter TSH-12 that wasn't too bad, but the 12 string Pacifica that Yamaha used to make is better. I think you can find them on eBay for around $350 - $400.

4. scottlr

scottlr Member

A guy on the VoxTalks forum bought a Daisy Rock 12 string that he's been talking about favorably. And no, it's not shaped like a flower or a heart ;)

5. J Purcell

J Purcell Member

I 2nd the Dano RI 12 string. I bought a double cut used for $225 shipped a couple of years ago and it plays amazingly well. Stays in tune and has a bunch of different sounds with the 7 position rotary switch.
    I only play 12 string on a few songs each gig and the Dano does a great job without costing a bunch of money.

6. jrm

jrm Member

Thanks guys! Zumaboy: How did you like that schecter? I'm not a fan of its look, but I find they make decent guitars.

7. zumaboy

zumaboy Member

I had one of the models from a few years ago, different from what they make now, and it was a looker! It had a semi-hollow mahogany body with a figured maple top, gold hardware, Duncan Designed bridge humbucker and neck mini-bucker. Separate volumes for each pickup and a single push/pull tone knob for splitting the pickups.

It looked great, construction quality was quite good, and you could get a classic 12-string sound (I used it at a Byrds cover show we played last year). The biggest negative was it really wasn't designed to be a 12-string. Rather, Schecter used the same neck as the 6-string model and just added a 12-slot nut. The bridge was not fully adjustable either, each pair of strings shared a single saddle. The result was spacings that were very close between the string courses, making fingering a challenge at times. That being said, once I played it for a little while, I got used to these wrinkles. I don't know whether any of the above is true with the new model TSH-12's.

I bought the guitar cheap from a local dealer who picked it up as a close-out; I was in a similar situation as you, i.e. in a band that could use "that" sound, always wanted a Ric, wasn't sure how much I'd use it, etc. Having the Schecter for a couple of years convinced me, and I now have a Ric 660/12 and sold the Schecter.

I have also heard good things about the Danos. Like I said earlier, the old Yamaha Pacifica 12's are quality insruments that are designed from the ground up as true 12-stringers (they get pretty good reviews on Harmony Central). There are also former/current models floating around out there by Dean, Peavey, and Jay Turser, but I know nothing about them.

Good luck, the looking-around part is always fun!!

8. jrm

jrm Member

Thanks! I thought I had seen a schecter that was different than the one they make now.... glad ot know I wasn't imagining things! Thank sfor the feedback, I really appreciate it!

9. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Fender has the 12 string Strat for around $650. They play easily and hold their tune well. My only gripe is the neck is kind of narrow which makes it kind of difficult to fret accurately close to the nut unless you have very small fingers.

10. jrm

jrm Member

Didn't they used to make a 12 string jaguar as well?

11. jrm

jrm Member

How about those DEan Srarasot 12's or the agile 12's? Any words of wisdom, caution, or experience? I knwo that epiphoen amde a 12 string les paul style guitar, but I'll be darned if I can find one...

12. photoguy

photoguy Member

I too was looking for an inexpensive 12. Based on what I read here and elsewhere, I found a Pacifica that should be here in a few days. I'll let you know how it works out.

13. jrm

jrm Member

thanks photoguy, I would appreciate that.