Reccommend an OD for a Vox AC15 Heritage

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mun2001, Feb 16, 2012.

1. mun2001

mun2001 Member

Hey...picked up a Vox AC 15 Heritage Handwired a while back...plan on using it with a tele and an LP...looking for recommendations on a good OD pedal to push the amp while retaining its Vox character....I have a Zendrive, which I love, but it has its own signature sound, even through the Vox

I've tried a Timmy and to my ear, it brings out a little too much high end

Any recommendations from other AC15 users?

2. dshobe

dshobe Rocky Mountain Way Silver Supporting Member

How 'bout a Catalinbread CB30, or a Menatone TBIAC? Both Vox voiced pedals.

3. cosmodog

cosmodog Member

I just got a Vox AC15C1, not exactly the same thing as the heritage, but anyway, I was wondering the same thing. I was thinking I'd try my Wampler Ecstasy on it when I got home tonight, since that pedal is extremely transparent. I'll let you know what I find.

I'm still interested in what others have to suggest, too...

4. Mr Tickle

Mr Tickle Member

Crowther Hotcake. thrives with any vox-flavoured amp.

5. mun2001

mun2001 Member

Yeah...my research seems to be pointing me in the direction of the Crowther

6. mcdes

mcdes Member of no importance

Little green wonder and a katana!! I will swear by it!

7. cosmodog

cosmodog Member

So I've tried a few different combinations on my AC15C1. As I said before, I acknowledge this isn't the same amp as the Heritage - still, might be interesting for some.

First off, I agree with posts I've seen that indicate the Normal channel is much better than the Top Boost at taking OD pedals. I will say that I thought the Ecstasy in "open" mode sounded OK with the Top Boost channel as a boost for solos, but not really for rhythm stuff.

As for the Normal channel, I don't have a Hot Cake, so I can't comment there. I tried the Ecstasy in all three modes, and I definitely think the "open" mode does the best at preserving the pop and sparkle I love about the AC15. Wasn't nuts about the other two modes, "smooth" was ok at moderate break-up, but higher levels on the gain knob just didn't sound as good to my ears. Wasn't a fan of the "crunch" mode either. I tried the Wampler Plexi-Drive as well, just to see how good of a JTM45 it could pull off. Decent, would work for some live stuff possibly, but didn't blow me away. Also, I also agree that it's tough to find a Muff sound that will work with this amp. I tried my bass Big Muff, and didn't particularly care for any of the settings I dialed in. Fuzz Face, on the other hand, seems to go nicely (I have an MXR Classic 108).

I did find a really good combination that I like quite a bit for rhythm - the AC15C1 Normal channel with the Skreddy ScrewDriver, gain knob to taste between noon & 3:00, tone knob somewhere in the middle. Just seemed to provide a good combination, probably because of the sparkly nature of the ScrewDriver to begin with, but it allowed me to add grit to taste, but maintain that pop and responsiveness of the Vox. Then hit the Ecstasy in "open" mode for a solo boost.

As always, YMMV :)

8. lovecarriedcros

lovecarriedcros Member

If you like your clean sound and just want to add some grit I recommend the xotic bb preamp, same tone just adds some grit, and also the dirty little secret with a Mxr micro amp at noon always on behind the two.

9. lovecarriedcros

lovecarriedcros Member

Oh and that's with a les Paul didn't like the dirty little secret with a strat

10. telepunk

telepunk Member

I have an AC15C1 too. I have tried lot of drive pedals and my favorite is the Blackstone. I also like the Cusack Screamer and modded Rat. I really like the Kalamazoo a lot too, but sold it for the Blackstone.

11. Class5

Class5 Member

I have the Heritage AC15H1TV and I use a Lovepedal Eternity Burst and an MXR Badass Modified OD and boost either with a Carl Martin Hydra.

12. Risewithfaith

Risewithfaith Member

I used a Green Rhino with mine and loved it!

13. mmcm4

mmcm4 Member

I have an AC-15 and I love the Fulldrive 2 with it. In the comp-cut mode it pushes the amp beautifully, especially at 18V.

14. dascher

dascher Member

^another one here for TS style pedals. I also have an OCD but I still like my stock beatup TS9 better.

15. wesc

wesc Member

Hotcake and/or G2D Creamtone. Both sound amazing though this amp.

16. p.j.

p.j. Member

Would that be redundant?

PJ

17. SonicVI

SonicVI Member

Nope. I use a TBIAC with my AC30 copy. Sounds awesome.

18. mrphotosales

mrphotosales Member

Morning glory continues to rule with every amp I play it with. Today it was an ac15c1 with a red fang.