Received My Collings D1SB and....

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by slipperyfingers, Dec 23, 2005.

1. slipperyfingers

slipperyfingers Member

It sounds amazing...I just cannot put it down...I'm going to have to though, because my fingers aren't used to playing an acoustic...expecially with medium strings.

The neck on the guitar is perfect for me...so comfortable...a "V" type.

This guitar loves to be played hard. I have been using a heavy pick and just absolutelly crushing this thing...and it responds so well. I'm used to rosewood, and this guitar doesn't have the deep base my D28 had, but it just sounds so balanced. I also find that it finger picks nicely too. This is a nice all arounder I think...which is just what I was looking for.

The sunburst is fantastic. The pics of the guitar I received do not do it justice. This is the first Collings I've had...I'm going to take some pics Christmas day (I bought my wife a new digital camera) and post them soon.

-SF

2. evhtone

evhtone Member

Congrats!! I just got a D2h and I am in love as well.

Tell me...is your nut width 1-11/16 or 1-3/4? Mine is 1-11/16 and I like it but I'm wondering if I would have liked the 1-3/4 nut better. My finger are very slim so I don't think it will be too much of an issue. Just wondering how yours was set up.

3. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

I've owned a sunburst mahogany-bodied C-10 for years. What a great guitar!

Enjoy yours! :)

4. slipperyfingers

slipperyfingers Member

Mine has a 1-11/16 nut, and I like it just fine. I have a question though...what is the factory bridge height setup... and what would be a reasonable medium low height?

5. Gazza

Gazza Member

Congrats on the Collings, I'm a fairly new owner of a D1A and I can't get enough of it. Truly magnificent guitars coming out of Texas. Post pics when you get time.

6. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Congrats slipperyfinger & evhtone on your new Collings guitars!! :BEER

I have a D1A and an OM1A and they are just superb, in every regard!

7. evhtone

evhtone Member

Next time I go to the Podium I'm going to see if they have a D1A for me to play. I just know it's going to ruin me!!!

:D

8. evhtone

evhtone Member

Boy, tough question. I'm going to assume mine is still the factory set-up because Dennis from The Mandolin Store told me he had only taken it out of the case to take a photo of it.

I would say mine is medium-high and maybe a bit on the high side of that. I used to like a lower action but soon realized that you get better tone with the strings raised up a bit.

9. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Funny you say that. I had a D1 for about 6 months.......LOVED it! One day I was in that 'dangerous-to-my-wallet' music store and was playing through some OM size guitars. Just for the heck of it, I pulled the D1A they had from the shelf. DAMMIT why did this thing have to sound so good? I walked out of the store with it. A month later I sold the D1. These Collings guitars are just amazing.....

10. Gazza

Gazza Member

You Minnesota folks ae just lucky, The Podium always has such a nice collection of guitars. I'd like to visit there sometime, it may be in my best interest if don't though.:D

11. evhtone

evhtone Member

I know I'm lucky but to be honest with you I don't get there nearly as much as I'd like to. I've had some nice chats with the owner and other sales people and they are always friendly and never condescending. It's not a very big store but they pack it full of the finest stuff. Very laid back. I was going to buy my new Collings from them but the deal I got from The Mandolin Store would have been stupid to pass up.

Where are you located? Any good shops around your area?

12. evhtone

evhtone Member

I was just playing my D2H tonight again and dag-nammit if I wasn't zoning out while playing that thing. My wife had to practically slap me into my senses before I could realize that she and my daughter were both trying to get my attention!! Life is gooooooooooood...

:BEER

13. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Welcome to the Collings club, I love my OM3, stellar tones.

14. evhtone

evhtone Member

Next time I make a pilgramage to the Podium I have it on my list to try a Colling D1A and an OM. I can't wait.

Last time I was there I played an incredible Bourgeois rosewood D. It knocked me out. I'm going to see if she's still there.

What kind of music do you use your OM3 for?

15. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Just general dorking around, some recording. Most blues/rock/fusion stuff. All at my daughter's preschool, never thought I would be playing for that! Pretty cool though. The OM's sound killer, I also have a Taylor nylon/electric, a great Martin 00016C, and a '50s J45. The Collings is the best of the lot. It works for almost any style, although I'm not that good at "acoustic" type music. I bought mine from Eddie's, great selection and a great price.

16. slipperyfingers

slipperyfingers Member

Here's a pic of the geetar...one of my computer monitors makes it look like a tri-tone burst (with red), but the monitor on my laptop looks correct...it's kind of a two-tone tobacco burst. The more I play it, the more I like it!

[​IMG]

17. Praline

Praline Member

Looking gorgeous...

18. slipperyfingers

slipperyfingers Member