Received the black limba Satch parts I've been waiting on...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by afterosmosis, Jul 28, 2005.

1. afterosmosis

afterosmosis Member

...and I will NOT be keeping them. Here's a list of the glaring errors I found:

*Excess clear buildup in the neck pocket, neck mounting holes, output jack, and the beveled area where the cavity cover sits.

*String through holes are very uneven both horizontally and spacing-wise.

*No holes drilled to run pickup wires to control cavity.

*Bridge mounting holes not drilled as I requested.

*Pickup routes are horrible, they are far too wide for mounting rings and can still be seen.

*Two random holes (drill press errors?) located near the neck mount holes on the body. Since it's an Ibanez All Access joint, there will be no plate and the holes would still be visible.

*There are also two or three small dings in the finish on the front near the control holes.

Now, onto the neck:

*Excess glue near the truss rod adjustment, it was not sanded down or cleaned up any other way.

*Gouges in the fretboard and on the edges by the fret ends, probably from files.

*At least two poorly seated frets, at least two that are immediately obvious.

*There are a few places that you can see glue coming up around the fret onto the fretboard.

*Neck mount holes aren't drilled in the neck as I requested.

*Due to all the excess clear in the neck pocket, the neck can't sit flush against the body closest to the neck pickup. In fact it's about 1/4" away, so it will never intonate correctly.

*Some kind of stain on the ebony on the bass side of the 20th fret.

Needless to say, I'll be returning the parts for a full refund, and refuse to pay for return shipping or any restocking fee if he has one. Pics soon to follow.

2. afterosmosis

afterosmosis Member

3. big mike

big mike Fixed Bias Moderator Staff Member

Link doesn't work.

Bummer man, nothing worse than being dissapointed in what's supposed to be fun!

4. jTreu

jTreu Member

who made this/whats the story behind it?

5. afterosmosis

afterosmosis Member

It was a custom guitar I commisioned from Monster Guitar Shop. Everything I chose was something offered on their website, Warmoth-style. It took nearly 5 months for these parts to arrive, BTW.

6. theelectic

theelectic Guest

http://www.monsterguitarshop.com/

Jeez, how can anyone put faith in a "shop" that can't even take a picture that's in focus?? I put the blame squarely on them for doing crappy work, but that should've been a dead giveaway right there!

7. Slipjack

Slipjack Member

That sucks man. I was waiting to see how it turned out too. Good luck on getting your money back. Give them hell.

8. MOJO

MOJO Member

what a shame.it had such potential to be a cool axe

i feel for ya "Fret" :(

they supposedly use CNC but i have my doubts

{oh well onward with my search for someone that will do good satch bodies }

9. afterosmosis

afterosmosis Member

I paid via Paypal, so if nothing else I can file a complaint and chargeback. I shouldn't have any problem getting my money back, but I'm not sending the parts back until I have the money in my account.

10. drummondrs

drummondrs Member

That sucks! It would be a cool guitar as well if they weren't such a bunch of tools with a drill.

11. corgiears

corgiears Member

Wow - I couldn't really appreciate how amature-ish the work was until opening the pictures. Those guys should be ashamed of themselves. Too bad - that's a great piece of wood they butchered.

Sorry to see this - I hope you get all of your money back and then some........:mad:

12. afterosmosis

afterosmosis Member

I have a few friends w/ enough know-how to possibly save the pieces and turn them into quite a guitar, but not unless I can get a good chunk of my money back. At this point he's agreed to refund half of what I paid, but wanted me to send the parts back to him to fix. I replied saying if I keep the parts and take the partial refund I'll be sending them elsewhere, and will probably hear back tomorrow.

13. Ron Thorn

Ron Thorn Gold Supporting Member

"My dad's got this awesome set of tools..."

:(
    Ron

14. Slipjack

Slipjack Member

Sounds fishy man. Demand a full refund. You did NOT get what you paid for and you shouldn't have to wait another five months for him to fix HIS mistakes.

Get it all back, accept nothing less. Put the money into a more professional luthier.

15. afterosmosis

afterosmosis Member

If I do decide to keep the parts, he will most definitely not be the one that works on them. That would be part of the deal, half my money back and liberty to send them to whom I wish to rectify the problems. As I said I have a few friends that can do this type of work, and wouldn't charge me much if anything. The guitar is not lost, the majority of the issues are just things he was obviously too lazy to follow through with. With some elbow grease it could be a player.

16. Motorhed

Motorhed Member

i cant beleive anyone would send those out of thier shop and expect the costomer to be happy, i know from seeing that i will never buy from them. even if its a one time thing, the fact that it happened once is once to often.

17. afterosmosis

afterosmosis Member

Spread the word :). It's a shame too, I had several friends waiting to see how my parts turned out to determine if they'd go through him for custom body work.

18. schmit

schmit Member

I would have been LIVID if I received those pieces like that. I may even have packed em up got in my car and drove to their facility.
    DEMAND nothing less than a FULL refund and spend your hard earned money someplace else. If they say they won't give a full refund, tell them you're going to file a complaint with your State's Attorney General's Office....that usually will open their eyes a bit...but be firm....Full refund or the S**T will hit the fan.

19. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Yes..........Really a nice piece of wood. Best of luck on the next one........

**** happens........I'll give anyone the benifit of doubt first time, but if he does not refund your money right away they will be dead in my book. Refer him to this page if they have any doubts........