Receiving Guitar in Cold/Damp Weather

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by bilbal, Feb 23, 2009.

1. bilbal

bilbal Member

I have read about people taking delivery of guitars during cold damp days after being in transit for a week or more,only ti find them being to check and basically destroy the paint job. Is it really true that a guitar should be left in the shipping container and given a chance acclimate to room temperature before opening and exposing it right away? What kind of temperature difference are we talking, only extremes or just about any? Also, how long should the guitar wait?

thanks,
    Bill

2. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I wait for a few hours before unboxing the case out of the box. Then I let the case sit out for a couple hours, then I slightly open and rapidly close the lid to let air in, then I wait another 20 minutes.

I have seen nitro finished guitar's finishes crack when I worked at a music store.

3. cube

cube Member

up here in Canada we let em sit for a day in the shipping box, then open the box to see how the case feels.

4. andergtr

andergtr Member

i'd always wait at least a few hours to let the guitar acclimate to the new surroundings.

in my case, i'm lucky that the stuff gets delivered during the day to the doorman, who keeps it for a few hours before i get to it.

john ou

5. blueshawk1

blueshawk1 Member

I always let mine sit before opening them. A guitar I just got from Elderly had a sticker on the box stating to do so. No doubt they, and other sellers have had problems with people wanting to return guitars because of finish cracks, all because they opened it up too quick.

6. bilbal

bilbal Member

I just found this at the Ameritage website. The last sentence states what you all have. Thanks guys!!!

Bill
    What should I do when I need to travel with my guitar?

The Ameritage® line of carrying cases are designed to protect and preserve instruments for generations. However, guitar owners must still take certain precautions when traveling with their instruments.
    When traveling by car, do not store your guitar in the trunk. The trunk of a vehicle is subjected to more dramatic climatic changes that lead to checking or swelling. Try not to put your guitar in a place where you yourself would be uncomfortable. Therefore, the car interior is a much better choice than the trunk.
    If you travel by air, do not check your guitar as baggage if you can avoid it. Temperature and air pressure changes in the cargo hold could ruin a guitar. Check if your airline will allow you to bring it on board and have a flight attendant stow it for you. Some musicians bring a flat electric guitar case in a garment bag for the attendant to hang in the coat storage area. Though we do not recommend Ameritage be used as a “Flight” case, we have learned that individuals are successfully traveling with our case on a routine basis.
    If moving your guitar from cold to warm surroundings or vice versa, leave it in the case and allow it to acclimate as long as possible to the new environment.