1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Recent Fender P-Bass buy... I want to add..

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by S. Hawk Ltd., Jul 3, 2006.

1. S. Hawk Ltd.

S. Hawk Ltd. Member

I'm a guitar picker first. But there has always been a need for me to play bass... I really don't like playing the regular bass player's instrument... So, I recently bought my own... It ain't bad... A Mexican Precision Bass. Not a Squire... Real cheap, so I don't care if I drill and route out a bunch of holes and do some modifying, etc. The feel is good and tone is nice... The pickup is not that bad and I may keep it...

I want to add a passive bridge pickup to turn this bass into a P/Jazz style. There seems to be quite few available, so I sure could use some advise for a decent sounding bridge bass pickup....

My question is what does the consensus say? We cover 50's thru 90's classic rock, funk, country, and blues, the usual...

Thanks a lot in advance and I hope that all this was intelligible!

2. Clorenzo

Clorenzo Member

Bear in mind that vintage J pu's are noticeably quieter than P's, so go with a hot J. My Warmoth below has a Seymour Duncan SPB-1 Vintage P-Bass (similar to a regular Fender P-type pu) and an STK-J2 Hot Jazz Bass (which is a hum-cancelling stack type pu) and it's a great combo, the P is still a bit hotter than the J but the difference is not dramatic and the J has a very nice, punchy tone, plus I love that the bass is hum-free in all pu combinations.

BTW I put a push/pull in the tone control to switch between series and parallel wiring in the J (instructions included with the pu) and the difference is subtle, the parallel being slightly brighter and clearer than the series, but I discovered that the P + [J in parallel] combo with both pu's full on gives a wonderful slap tone, you could almost use it straight, without the usual bass up - mid down slap equalization.

[​IMG]

3. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

The only mod I did to my P-bass was to add a vol/tone control bypass switch. Makes a big difference.

Regarding pickups, I had Pete @ Vintage Vibe make me a set that sounded great.

4. S. Hawk Ltd.

S. Hawk Ltd. Member

Thanks for the cool responses guys. Very much appreciated! Clorenzo your axe is gorgeous! You are fortunate that Warmoth sent you that stunning and sexy (I might add!) piece of wood! WOWOWOW!!!!
    Thanks again guys!

5. Clorenzo

Clorenzo Member

Well, I just spotted it in the Showcase and couldn't resist! I've played 5-string basses only for the last few years, but when I saw that absolutely incredible piece of figured walnut, I just had to have it.

I couldn't believe my luck a few months later when I was looking to get a new 5-stringer and they go and put this even more incredible piece in the Showcase:

[​IMG]

Figured walnut rules!! :BEER

6. S. Hawk Ltd.

S. Hawk Ltd. Member

Clorenzo,

Those two instruments ARE "showcases"!
    Did you build them yourself from Warmoth parts? I bet the necks are just as beautiful. Man, that really inspires me to try something as that...