Recent issue 335 owners

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Alister, Apr 9, 2008.

1. Alister

Alister Supporting Member

I've been semi-seriously shopping for 335's. Have played 4 or 5, and I have a working understanding (if there is such a thing) of this Memphis vs. Nashville, custom shop vs. "historic custom shop" business....I think, anyway. You guys help me on that, too, if you can.

The most impressive unit I played was the P-90 model, which is advertized esp. AS "custom shop," at about $500 more than the basic "Memphis" custom shop model. I'm still not sure where the extra $500 accounts from, though.
    Played a standard model at $2400 plus tax, for some reason didn't feel as viby at the P-90, not to mention soundwise, either.

I would like to try the 59 or fatneck historic version, but the prices just floor me. I'm interested in any testimonials, though, for any of you fortunate enough to own one.

I've never owned a 335, though I wish I could to explain to myself why not, as I've owned so many other expensive guitars. But I do have the 335 meme-virus now.

What are your views as owners?

Thanks.

2. karmadave

karmadave Member

My '59 Historic ES-335 is the nicest guitar I own. Simply a joy to play...

-KD

3. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

335s have the coolest tone. Unique yet familiar. A little gain and they scream like a banshee. I want a fatneck in the worst way. I'd rather have the historic 59 but they are big money.

4. bbarnard

bbarnard Member

If the fat neck especially appeals to you I urge you to look at a 339. Custom shop, available with a fat neck and half the price of a 335 of similar specs. And an outstanding guitar as well.

You might also want to look at a Tokai. Better build quality in many ways than a similar Gibson, just won't say Gibson on the head stock but again half the price.

5. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

The new CS 335's are built in the new Memphis Custom Shop. Those CS pieces from '06 or prior were built in the Nashville Custom Shop. I doubt there's any real difference, but you know the fickle nature of guitar collecting....the Nashville built pieces are bound to command a premium on the used market (seems they already do) because of some perceived benefit of where they were built, and the inability of getting new ones that way. It may be just some more guitar voodoo, but such is the nature of these things. BTW....I'll never sell my beloved '03 Nashville Custom Shop built ES-355! [​IMG]

6. Alister

Alister Supporting Member

Leads me to wonder if anyone out there owns both the 339 and the 335.

7. JimmyR

JimmyR Member

I had a CS '59 a few years ago - nice guitar but nothing out of the ordinary. I now have an '07 Fatneck which is the best 335 I have played! I've had quite a few, including a '65 and some late 70s and 80s 335s. Honestly I wouldn't bother with the Historic or VOS or whatever they call it - the Fatneck is great. I got mine new for under $3000.

I have also played the Tokai 335s - about 3 different examples. Very good indeed for the money but not as cool as my Fatneck. There's something about the feel of it and the extra richness of tone that is awesome. On a budget though I would definitely recommend the Tokai. I just feel that the Fatneck is worth the extra.

When I got the Fatneck I had the guys at the shop try a bunch of different 335s, including CS models both new and used, and both guys (two different shops) commented on how much variation in tone there was, and that in both cases they happened to prefer one of the fatnecks over the CS models they had in stock. This particular guitar has been a bit of a revelation for me - I absolutely love it! And it's stock, too!

8. goodtone

goodtone Member

Just curious if your fatneck has the long neck tenon ?

9. bbarnard

bbarnard Member

Well I have both the 339 and the Tokai 335. I play the 339 both for the tone and the neck. Not that the Tokai is bad, it isn't it is actually stellar but the 339 just has that something, part of which is a honking big fat neck.:dude

10. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

All 335's have a long tenon.
    The Historics tenon is slightly wider.

335's are like any other guitar in that they vary from example to example.

I have a '99 USA model that is great and also have an '03 Historic that rings and sings like all get out with some of the best humbucking pickups I have ever heard.
    I have had several others that I liked just fine too but I also selected which ones I wanted to take home with me.

11. Steve Gambrell

Steve Gambrell Member

I've got an '01 335, but I don't know if it's Historic, dot re-issue, or what. The case says Memphis on it, but the label (yellow) just says ES-335. Anybody know what I've got? Oh yeah, got a 60's neck:BITCH...

12. Dylan61

Dylan61 Member

I've got a '59 Fat neck RI , very well build and sounding guitar, but my Es-137 is even better..

Gess the Nitro on the ES-335 has to saddle down first.