Recently discovered the Allman Brothers Band...

Staticbuster

The really good awesome player is Dickey. The super duper amazing player is Duane. :)

This. But also Dickeys' tone usually is a little warmer than Duanes'. Dickey also has a pretty distinctive way of bending notes which you'll start picking up on after a while. DB was a huge influence on my lead playing.

oildrops

If you do a search for this you can find threads where people break it down, but honestly I'm not sure anyone knows 100% on the live recordings. They were both incredible players and had a ton of overlap in their style.

Edit: I guess people have a good handle on which solos are which on the fillmore concert these days.

Last edited:
Reactions: F12

2HBStrat

I'm surprised nobody's chastised you for not skipping straight ahead to the live stuff yet! Go ahead and do that though before someone does.....God how I wish I could hear Fillmore East for the first time again, I'm actually a bit jealous :D
I thought about it. It's probably easier to distinguish Duane from Dickie on "At Fillmore East" but I say let the OP discover the albums in the order they were released.....

RickC

It's easy on AFE. Dickey is towards the right of the stereo spectrum and Duane is towards the left. For quick reference, consult "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed" - Dickey is the first guitar solo and Duane the second. That track is a good example of their differences in style and tone.

/rick

Bluesful

Silver Supporting Member
It's easy on AFE. Dickey is towards the right of the stereo spectrum and Duane is towards the left. For quick reference, consult "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed" - Dickey is the first guitar solo and Duane the second. That track is a good example of their differences in style and tone.

/rick

Yep Duane on the left and Dickey on the right for the whole record.

You can still pick them by tone if need be though.

rollyfoster

Silver Supporting Member
I’m listening to the first album. How do I tell if Duane or Dickey is playing?

Duane is on the left and Dickey is louder on the right. Just pan your stereo either way. It’s generally that way for everything they recorded.

On Not My Cross to Bear, Duane is first solo, sounds fuzzier, and Dickey is second sounds smoother.

You’ll get the hang of who is who pretty quickly. They both have lots of little themes and touchstones that come up repeatedly in their playing across all the recordings.

Top Bottom