Recently, I've gotten rid of all my "High end" amps and...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by zekmoe, Mar 15, 2008.

1. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

I haven't missed them. Over the last few months, I've sold or traded:
    Matchless DC-30 Sampson Era - Most mint one in existance.
    Orange 70's Or-80 and 90's 2-12 cab. Amp was definitly the most mint one in existance.
    Clark Beaufort with Tube Tremelo and Clark 3 knob stand alone reverb. Also, super mint and top of the line version.
    JCM800 50 watt single channel over under, mint.
    All great examples of the amp, but I rarely played them. They all were too loud in the sweet spot for my measly gig and jam life.
    I'm living with a Rivera k55, Dr Z maz 18, Reinhardt 18, and Marshall JTM60, and have never been happier with my sound. Plus, I don't have to worry about scratching the amp, getting it stolen or having a beer slopped on them. Utility and great sounding IMHO.
    Just a 3 beer blurt.

2. 5E3

5E3 Member

Wow, an impressive list of amps sold, but an impressive list remains!

3. soldano16

soldano16 Member

That's why I keep recommending the Ultimate Attenuator. Because now I can use my 68 50 watt plexi in the sweet spot at usable volumes.

4. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I was really curious, with the sales of these amps, did you buy them new or used and either way, did you mostly make money or lose money from the purchase price?

And "high end" seems really relative...when I saw the thread I thought you were going to be saying you sold your Dr Z, and now played a Classic 50 or something, but from my cantage point, the ones you kept seem pretty high-end, :rotflmao

5. MartinC

MartinC Member

Yep ... first thing I thought too ...

6. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

Me too, I thought you were going to wow us with some hidden, inexpensive treasures that were "just/almost as good" and gave up the goods. What's a Reinhardt 18 go for these days?

7. davebc

davebc Member

THAT could not have been easy. In the past year I offed a bunch of boutique amps and guitars, too numerous list; but it was to fund other gear which took some of the sting out.
    It's difficult to sell gear that's been a part of your life, even if it's collecting dust. It's a very powerful bond we form with this stuff, all part of the magic.
    Glad it only took 3 beers to ease the pain.:BEER

8. phatster

phatster Member

I have amplifier acquisition disorder or ADD..........

9. phatster

phatster Member

Whoops.... my ADD got in the way! Make that AAD!!!

10. CocoTone

CocoTone Senior Member

If you don't consider the amps left as boutique, but just run of the mill, then your just braggin' is all. Showoff.:D I don't think I've ever seen a Dr. Z or Reinhart in a club in these neck of the woods.

CT.

11. Plague Dog

Plague Dog Member

Hmmmm, I gigged last time with a Crate Vintage Club 50- cost $150. A PRS CE1- cost $400 and a Visual sound Route 66- cost $75.

The guy on the other side of the stage played a Two Rock something or other- cost $3K+, A Suhr strat thing- cost $3K+ and a pedalboard with every top notch pedal you could imagine- cost estimate $3K.

12. Mudder

Mudder Member

I've also pared down much of my expensive gear to a couple spendy items and some quality cheap stuff.

My amps now consist of...

DrZ Rt66
    Peavey VTM60
    Orange TT
    Gibson GA5 (caught the sale)

Hamer Diablo
    Ibby SZ720
    Ric 620
    Peavey Predator
    Yamaha AEX502

All this cheap gear gets me all the tones I'm looking for and shows me that what I really need is more playing time.

13. BIGGERSTAFF

BIGGERSTAFF Member

+1

Reinhardt and Dr Z not high end?(and Rivera K55 and Marshall JTM60 aren't exactly slouches).

14. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

+1 again..

lol..its kinda like "...let them eat cake..." sort of a disconnect of whats high-end and whats low-end.

I half expected you to say you sold you two-rock for a Hot rod Deville.

But keeping something handmade one at a time by a guy like Reinhart isn't getting rid of all you high-end.

15. Tonefish

Tonefish Member

those keepers aren't slackers, but doing what makes you feel good is soooo important with music making stuff...glad you are liking it