Recently visited Nashville...

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Jonathan31, Aug 13, 2019 at 9:30 AM.

1. Jonathan31

Jonathan31 Member

To see John Mayer at bridgestone arena. Before the show we went to a bar with a band playing that was covering pop country songs. I was astonished that the band could take request and the guitarist could play the song note for note how it was recorded. When they got a request though they would all be looking at their phone like they were reading music or something. What were they looking at?

Danny D, bainmack, jogogonne and 2 others like this.
  2. Fatboy666

Fatboy666 Member

the future of the cover band industry

Danny D, chillybilly, mwhy and 4 others like this.
  3. s2y

s2y Member

There must be a lot of note for note hotties.

Rod and 2HBStrat like this.
  4. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Those are plants.

Friends offered free drinks to show up and request tunes they've all rehearsed and have down cold.

5. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

It has to be realized that there are some musicians who work on an entirely different talent level than most of us mortals do...

markophonic, guff, HoboMan and 31 others like this.
  6. Jay Mitchell

Jay Mitchell Member

My guess is IrealPro. It's what I use. IrealPro charts have changes only, so you've got to be somewhat familiar with a tune to use it. There are other music apps for smartphones as well.

McGTR, mwhy, Banditt and 3 others like this.
  7. Jonathan31

Jonathan31 Member

Yes going to Nashville is very humbling.

indeedido, slider, Danny D and 16 others like this.
  8. 27sauce

27sauce Member

9. handyman11

handyman11 Silver Supporting Member

My girls went there for one of their Bachelorette parties, and were sending me video's of live country music ...finally told them to send me some good rock n roll ... I guess a guy gave the band $100 to play Free Bird .... and they nailed it ......

10. dirk_benedict

dirk_benedict Member

Not to dismiss the talent level, because I concur it is off the charts down there.

That said, what was the song? You can easily hear 10-40 renditions of Chattahoochee or Country Girl if you spend an afternoon and/or a couple nights on lower Broadway. There are exceptions of course (Layla's, Robert's WW)... The repertoire is pretty well tread I mean. What seems like some random tune an average bar goer is likely something the band (or some of the band) has played before.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019 at 11:23 AM
    Danny D, GtrGeorge! and Todd Lynch like this.
  11. Jonathan31

Jonathan31 Member

Dierks Bentley’s bar.

27sauce likes this.
  12. gjohnson441496lpjr

gjohnson441496lpjr Member

I can’t tell you the number of times I’ve driven down Broadway and heard Layla.

Danny D, Vaibhav Joshi and Dale like this.
  13. jman

jman Supporting Member

Walking or driving that strip downtown with all the bars is one huge cacophony of misery ,lol... I've heard that most musicians who play in those bars get paid quite poorly, awesome huh?

14. cbell2112

cbell2112 Member

I just spent a week there. The best band I saw was at Roberts Western World with the 18 year old kid on guitar and the the guy with the stand up bass. I stayed for about an hour.. got to hear Ghost Riders in the Sky twice, I guess they play it every hour. Kid can definitely rip, no pedals just a Fender amp and an Xotic Telecaster style guitar.

I checked in on a bunch of other bands during the week but country isn't really my thing and kept getting pulled down to Kid Rock's which is one of the "loudest" places and of course plays mostly rock covers which I enjoyed a bit more.

15. guitarlifestyle

guitarlifestyle I like guitars. Silver Supporting Member

I've heard differently. The bars don't pay that well, but bands get a lot in tips.

EarleG, Danny D, Dale and 3 others like this.
  16. guitarlifestyle

That's Luke McCreary in Don Kelley's band. I don't know how it started, but all the hot new guitar slingers in Nashville seem to go through Don's band.

Lava Lamp, Danny D, baiff and 9 others like this.
  17. cbell2112

cbell2112 Member

That's right, couldn't remember his name but I talked to him after their set and told him how much I appreciated his playing. He is definitely into it. He actually did have an Xotic Soul Driven but he said he never turned it on. I guess they maybe they are sponsored by Xotic.

Dale likes this.
  18. 27sauce

27sauce Member

“A lot” is relative. Half these guys are waiters/waitresses in Brentwood during the day. Or living with their parents.

You probably have a better chance supporting yourself as a bartender or waiter, than a musician. In Music City, USA.

19. gjohnson441496lpjr

gjohnson441496lpjr Member

or working in one of the many music stores in town. Which reminds me I need to make a trip to Corner Music. Haven't seen those guys since they moved way across town.

Danny D, Dale and 27sauce like this.
  20. guitarlifestyle

The new shop is definitely roomier, but in a weird location. Although I guess 12 South was probably a weird location many years ago.

gjohnson441496lpjr likes this.