Recently visited Nashville...

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Jonathan31, Aug 13, 2019 at 9:30 AM.

1. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

Where is it now?

2. gjohnson441496lpjr

gjohnson441496lpjr Member

Thanks for the info. 12th South was a fine location until the hipsters showed up with their Frothy Monkeys, Mafioso's and wine and cheese shops. :)

guitarlifestyle and BenB123 like this.
  3. gjohnson441496lpjr

gjohnson441496lpjr Member

3048 Dickerson Pk., Nashville, TN 37207

2HBStrat likes this.
  4. douglaswarren

douglaswarren Member

Which day did you go? Could have been my band ;)

5. TopJimmy5150

TopJimmy5150 Member

Neat trick. I see 10 year old kids playing drums on Youtube along with a recording of Hot For Teacher all of the time. It's impressive. It's not art...it's replication/duplication and doesn't interest me in the least. It's akin to creating prints of famous paintings. I'd rather see a band do something new with the music or even play their own songs, but I know I'm in the minority. People want the band to be a juke box, I guess.

6. Jonathan31

Jonathan31 Member

Thursday around 5-6:15

douglaswarren likes this.
  7. 27sauce

27sauce Member

People do different things with their time.

You watch 10 year olds on YouTube, for instance.

Don’t hate.

8. Jonathan31

Jonathan31 Member

The musicians in these bands probably have other projects going on. Go to nashville and play your originals and see how many gigs you get and get back to me.

9. JPH118

JPH118 Member

Pretty much goes for all the live music staples, Nashville, Austin, NOLA, etc. They’re counting on the tourist crowd for tips, you’ll hear the same tunes in every bar (that will vary by city). “A lot” varies, but not many are living by it.

You stand a better chance of getting a flat rate from the venue if it’s a local haunt. Forget about originals in the tourist trap bars, too.

Danny D, GtrGeorge! and derekd like this.
  10. JPH118

JPH118 Member

Caught him last year, Luke was fantastic! Don always gets the best cats.

douglaswarren and shallbe like this.
  11. AaC

AaC Supporting Member

Great question! I play broadway when I’m not out on the road...There are a couple drop box folders floating around on broadway containing number charts to most country songs imaginable. Between that and being able to listen to the hook lick on Apple Music quickly is a savior for a songs that you might not know! Hope that answers your question!

Cheers!

douglaswarren, Danny D, rnm14 and 6 others like this.
  12. Tiny Montgomery

Tiny Montgomery Supporting Member

That guitarist just happened to know that particular request really well, I guess.

13. Jonathan31

Jonathan31 Member

It was like a dozen songs.

14. Coli

Coli Supporting Member

I had a friend who did the Nashville scene for a few years...another "young gun" of country...I backed him up on several occasions and the usual was tips/bar got 10%
    some places-tips only/the usual dives...we always owed money when we played Tootsie's!
    *that was 5-10 yrs ago

15. TopJimmy5150

TopJimmy5150 Member

I can't argue with you there. That's the way it is. It doesn't mean it's right or fair, but then again life isn't that way. Cheers!

derekd and Jonathan31 like this.
  16. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

MOST people want to see a band play songs that they know, and like. If you went to see your favorite band and they played all songs that you hadn't heard, and didn't know, how happy would you be? If you had gone to see B.B. King (RIP) and he didn't play "The Thrill is Gone" and "Sweet Little Angel" would you have been happy?
    It's a challenge to have a successful gigging career playing originals anywhere...that's why most bands can't do it...

GtrGeorge! and cbell2112 like this.
  17. TopJimmy5150

TopJimmy5150 Member

You farking bastage.

Danny D and Gilky like this.
  18. Capador

Capador Member

The phones are for charts or lyrics. There are apps and dropboxes that have a ton of charts for most of the songs that get requested. A lot of the "bands" are not technically bands, but just collections of players who do the downtown thing regularly. Most of the time, it's the same people, but because people get pulled away to do tours and other dates, there are a lot of subs. Put that with the fact shifts are 4 hours long and sometimes you'll need to look up a song!

FYI, the pay downtown varies quite a bit. It really depends where you play and what shift. There is typically a base pay, but it can vary greatly from place to place. Tips are your biggest money maker and doing requests = the best tips...hence the phones/ipads so any request is at least doable ;). Also, I'm pretty sure dude man was joking, but I've never known anyone to plant requests. Trust me, most of the time, it's songs you wouldn't plant lol.

douglaswarren, HesNot and Danny D like this.
  19. TopJimmy5150

TopJimmy5150 Member

It would be fine with me. I'd enjoy it. At least I wouldn't have to sit through yet another band playing "Gimmie Three Steps" that they learned out of a tab book.

Big difference. Those were songs he made famous. Do I want to hear The Flaming Pancho's replicate it note-for-note at the DogShite Bar and Cigarette Smoke Factory at 1:30am? Pass. If the same band made it theirs by changing it up some and did something cool with it, count me in.

Danny D, kookaburra, Alister and 2 others like this.