Recently visited Nashville...

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Jonathan31, Aug 13, 2019 at 9:30 AM.

1. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

Maybe I wasn't clear...when I said "your favorite band" I meant favorite famous band, and then the B.B.King thing was an example of what I was talking about.

2. televisual

televisual Supporting Member

Don gets them because of who he's had in the past - Brent Mason, Johnny Hiland, Guthrie Trapp, JD Simo, Daniel Donato...I'm not saying he trained them in as much as it was a cultivating, mentoring, etc. kind of thing. To hear people that lived there at the time talk about it, Don was playing bars around Nashville and pretty much created the 'scene' that is now Lower Broadway probably 20+ years ago. With that kind of reputation/history and a clear record of hiring in talent that moves on to make a career of it, the reason he gets the 'hot new guitar slingers' should be understandable.

Now, are there other players in town who are equally hot? I'm sure. BUT, if you've been to Robert's and seen the SHOW that the band (spurred on by Don obviously) puts on you'd also understand that it truly is show business they're doing down there, not guitar clinics.

Just my 2c. I played LB my share between 2005-2008 and happily moved on. It'll grow any musician who's willing to put in the chair time.

3. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

The repertoires of the guys/gals I know that do Broadway is nothing short of amazing. Hundreds of tunes. The best ones know how to hold a crowd for hours. Awesome musicianship.

BTW, TGP Nashville meetup would be awesome....

4. b_goatman

b_goatman Silver Supporting Member

We saw Luke there a couple of years ago - he was amazing! Don Kelley wasn't there that night, but his fill-in was great. And what a bassist/entertainer in that group!

5. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

I saw the Don Kelly Band in a bar in a basement on Nolansville Road IIRC in the 1980's. Brent Mason was playing guitar...playing through two Peavey amps, either Bandits or Special 130's...the memory is going...

televisual, Danny D and Crowder like this.
  6. JPH118

JPH118 Member

I once played “Wagon Wheel” fives times on a 3-hour gig, and you just gave me an awful flashback... :eek: $$$

7. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Member

You'd be surprised how quick you pull out the phone, hear the changes/hook, when there's $$ to be had! Not long ago I saw the biggest tip I've ever seen going into the jar when a lady requested "Joy To The World" for her late father, or something like that. Youtube'd that sucker and we got a $100 bill. I'm just glad I'd heard the tune, lots of the newer stuff I've listened to all of ZERO times. I can learn it by ear real quick, but it's the little changes/form/modulations/etc where a chart would be nice.

Hell yeah, I'd be down. I don't do broadway cause I'm too smart..instead I join groups, shed all the parts in the 50+ tunes for each group, then wait for the 1 gig a month to happen!

Granted some folks go the route of straight into rock/various bands from a young age and they can somehow stay afloat plus a tiny fraction made it, used to be easier to hit a van & tour the nations dives then break even slumming it in a scene. Not as easy today. When I lived by Wicker Park in Chicago I had a good number of friends in bands playing shoegaze originals but the one thing they had in common was well to do parents in the nice suburbs! I was wondering how playing the first set tuesday at the double door could possibly sustain the rent until I got to know a few people really well. The same goes for many "original" artists I worked with at an independent studio, lots of people spending hours & hours fixing their mistakes with endless credit card limits. WTF...That **** isn't cheap! Hell...I studied experimental composition in school...so I'm about as frou-frou as they come, if it were up to me I'd be doing weird music at home all day long or straight jamming when I play live.

You have to remember everyone else on the planet did the same exact thing...perform tunes on stage/studio for the sake of performance, you name them, I think they call that, oh yeah, Capitalism! From composers playing Organ in church to Louis covering Broadway to Jimmy Page hacking through jingles in a studio on and on.

In fact, I think one of the biggest problems in music today is a poor kid who knows a few things can't just get into an act overnight that will put enough change in his pocket. It's not realistic yet it used to be how EVERYONE got started. So, it was seen as a way out of a dull life.

Now it's more, I have financial comfort so why not try music? I think the past decade or so was the first generation where music was MORE VANILLA than it's predecessors.

8. NashVox

NashVox Supporting Member

This.

I live here.

I've seen Johnny Hilland, JD Simo, and another kid a don't remember (and he was a kid) all play in the DK Band

Don Kelley gets incredible talent and Robert's is the BEST bar downtown for music the original feel of Nashville.

9. Cornholio

Cornholio Member

I have lived in Nashville since '98. There are a ton of very average cover bands playing downtown. This is because lower Broadway has boomed and there are just tons of bars. Every bar has to have a live band - so that means the standards had to be lowered in order to get someone on your stage. Some of them are just bad. Then you have ones with good players, but they are just sitting in and winging it. But you can tell when they don't really know the songs, so to me it's like watching a live rehearsal. Not my thing if I have to pay $40 to park and have overpriced drinks.

When I moved here in 98, a fraction of these bands would have been good enough to make the cut at the bars that existed back then.

Danny D likes this.
  10. caherdon

caherdon Member

Sounds about right . i Play in a Cover /Wedding band in Ireland,and i can tell you without an iPad or iphone ,you'd be screwed .

kookaburra likes this.
  11. Madison

Madison Member

Don't forget Porter McClister. Monster player, check him on youtube.

televisual likes this.
  12. Tiny Montgomery

Tiny Montgomery Supporting Member

How can you tell how they learned it?:confused

Jonathan31 likes this.
  13. GtrGeorge!

GtrGeorge! Member

bro, its a metaphor.....and I agree with the OP. Sometimes people play songs and dont understand the song at ALL.

14. Banditt

Banditt Supporting Member

I have a guitarist friend who moved to Nashville about a year ago. Took a little while, but recently he posts a daily schedule like: "From noon to 1:30 at X", "3-5 at X" "2 sets at X from 8-10"....then like back to a previous bar at midnight! Crazy schedules but man, he says if you want to play..that's the place....then getting picked up for touring Bands for Summer fair circuit, etc. But you better be good.

Danny D and Jonathan31 like this.
  15. Jonathan31

Jonathan31 Member

A schedule like that no wonder those guys get so good.

Danny D and Banditt like this.
  16. Tiny Montgomery

Tiny Montgomery Supporting Member

Tab books are generally fairly accurate (online tabs, not so much). I see far more examples of people learning by ear, when their ear isn’t very good. That’s much easier to spot out.

If someone’s playing a song note-for-note, there’s no way of knowing whether they picked it out by ear (like the people who do the transcriptions in the ‘tab books’) or from an accurate transcription.

If they’re playing it accurately, how could you tell that they “don’t understand the song?”

17. VintagePlayerStrat

VintagePlayerStrat Member

Best guitar town in America, I reckon. Though Austin and my hometown of Los Angeles also have some mighty fine players, shops, etc.

GtrGeorge! and Danny D like this.
  18. JoeInOttawa

JoeInOttawa Member

Not so. And what they're doing is looking up the tune on their iPhones to get a head-start on how the song goes.

19. JoeInOttawa

JoeInOttawa Member

They don't get paid at all, they play for tips. And some of them make very good money at it.

BuddyGuit likes this.
  20. JoeInOttawa

JoeInOttawa Member

Again, not so. At least, not the ones working the bars at night. You have to work your way up from the noon shift to get close shifts. And by the time you're working nights, you are potentially playing 6-10 3-hour shifts a week.

Banditt and Gibson Dog like this.