Receptor by Muse Research

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Kenny D, Jul 19, 2008.

1. Kenny D

Kenny D Member

This could go either here or in the gadgets & pedals forum but since I am looking to use it in conjunction with Protools I placed it here.

Anyone ever use one of these?

Muse Research Receptor

2. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

Haven't used it. I've been wanting to try v-drums plugged into one running BFD but it's rather pricey for that single purpose. SM Pro Audio announced some hardware vst boxes a while back and the one tailored to guitar players has piqued my interest.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2008
  3. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

A friend of mine has one. It's great, saves him a lot of processing power.

4. Kenny D

Kenny D Member

Any idea what he runs on it?

I am looking to use my Native Instruments Komplete 4 bundle on it as the piano and B4 seem to not want to perform on, say, a hammond growl or glissando where lots of notes playing very quickly are present.

5. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Nuendo or Cubase, I forget which

6. Sunbreak Music

Sunbreak Music Member

Make sure your desired plugs are supported before purchasing.

7. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

I've been interested in getting a Muse Receptor.

I've got BFD that I run on a PC and a Zendrum for triggering. . .And, a Tascam US 122L for input and output of midi data and output of music/sound into a mixer then into a G4 running ProTools for recording drum tracks.

It doesn't work as good as I had hoped. I'm not sure if the midi data stream is getting messed up in the PC; the Tascam IO device or what. I know that the Muse Receptor is like a stand along computer with the Midi device already a part of the machine.

Here's my question. . .Is there something on the market that will do the same thing? I find the Muse Receptor very expensive for just triggering drum sounds.

8. Kenny D

Kenny D Member

NovaMusik has some Receptors on ebay that look far cheaper than the advertized prices by the big name outlets.

I am looking into the receptor for similar reasons. Here is an interesting site with a good mix of pros and cons of the Receptor.

I spent an hour on the phone yesterday with the Marketing VP of Muse talking about the Receptor. He seemed very honest about its abilities and explained exactly all of the hows, whys and what-fors of it.

I am probably going to get one, but it's out of desperation. It is pricey.

One big problem: It will not work over ethernet with PT. Digi refuses to support third party acceleration technology and cancelled Muse's RTAS development license.