Recognize this body shape?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Cliff, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Cliff

Cliff Member

Received this picture last night. Any guesses who made this guitar? Hint: he's been mentioned a lot lately in this section of the forum. It's been a long, long wait, but looks like it's finally done...or nearly done.

[​IMG]

2. mprvise

mprvise Member

Body shape and bottom of the neck/fretboard - oh yeah! Congrats man. That is gonna be one fine looking instrument for sure. :AOK:AOK

3. BettyFjord

BettyFjord Member

Mmmm... that is tasty. It's hard to mistake the Koll shape. Is it solid or semi? Give us the details!

4. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

Cliff,

You're going to start problems! :AOK

5. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Can't see the pics from my work network, but can't wait to see them from home.

There are lots of great guitar builders. For my tastes, there's probably no one better than Saul. Glad I have mine, it was worth the wait (cliche...I know).

My next one will be a Korina Tornado with Dimarzio Virtual P-90s. Possibly a solid rosewood neck...

6. amc

amc Member

That's going to be a beauty!

7. Cliff

Cliff Member

Well, this one started in November 2006, so as I said, it's been a while. The guitar is a straight up Lester, but with Saul's shape and detail. I had a set of Holmes pickups in a drawer that will go into this thing. Not much else to say, all mahogany, solid body, with a carved maple cap. It has ivoroid binding instead of cream. Nothing fancy about this guitar....but it IS gold. :) By chance, I was in Portland last month looking at Lewis and Clark with my daughter. We had a couple hours to burn before leaving town, and on a whim, I called Saul. Saul picked us up and gave us a two-hour tour of Portland. He is such a nice guy. When he dropped us back at the airport, he pulled this guitar out of a gig bag....no finish, but fretted and ready for paint. Man, it looked so cool, I thought about foregoing the finish altogether and taking it home. It was a very memorable day.

8. Aardvark

Aardvark Silver Supporting Member

Cliff, do let me know what it sounds like when you get it, because Saul is working on a very similar one for me. The only major difference will be a Hipshot Baby Grand bridge instead of a TOM. Also, will have Wolfetones. Otherwise, some cosmetic differences.

9. TDJMB

TDJMB Gold Supporting Member

aarondavis: mine is a Limba body & neck, maple top, brazillian board, HD Z90s, Skyway. Couldn't be happier. I'll also point out I didn't ask for the brazillian or the flamed maple pickup rings - that's just the kinda builder Saul is.
    Cliff: beauty! The body shape is the best.